Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Zhu Wayne <zh...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/19 15:24:03 UTC

Compute offset for messages compressed with Snappy inKakfa 0.8.0

I am using Camus to get compressed Snappy messages into HDFS. However, I
can't get records in HDFS even though CamusJob was completed successfully.
Getting uncompressed AVRO messages into HDFS is fine.

According to Neha's post, the consumer should be
* agnostic to compression.*
http://geekmantra.wordpress.com/2013/03/28/compression-in-kafka-gzip-or-snappy/

Kafka console consumer can handle compression w/o any issue. Camus uses
SimpleConsumer. I am not sure if it can handle compression correctly.
Again, thanks for the help in advance.

Best,

Wayne Zhu

Re: Compute offset for messages compressed with Snappy inKakfa 0.8.0

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Do you mean Camus didn't write any data to HDFS or you can't read the data
on HDFS? SimpleConsumer works with compressed data. You just need to make
sure that the fetch size is larger than the compressed set of messages.
Also, have you asked the Camus mailing list?

Thanks,

Jun