Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/03/06 15:34:54 UTC

[Excalibur] Is there anything preventing release of the RC2 packages?

Please, I need comments so that I can focus my energy and get this
done ASAP.  Please look at the following location:

http://avalon.apache.org/~bloritsch/excalibur-dist

If there are any outstanding issues with the releases, please
enumerate them now.  I want to do one more RC and then go for
a vote--so I don't want to waste time.

Re: [Excalibur] Is there anything preventing release of the RC2 packages?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> I'm totally unhappy about he documentation status on Instrument.  It
>> simply too little. Link to manager and client contain absolutely
>> nothing which is well and truly below acceptable release status.
>> Also, the JavaDoc link is pointing to the entire-avalon-world javadoc
>> instead of the local javadoc resources in the distribution.
>

> What would you like to see with the content?  Its a matter of focusing
> energy on the weak points in as efficient a manner as possible.  I would
> really appreciate any help from anyone else who is familiar with
> Instrument to write up some docs to satisfy the release issues.  I would
> really like to get this done ASAP so we can focus on fun stuff--but this
> is necessary.

What I would like to see:

1. Overview of Instrument Manager (should include function and
   purpose relative to a container, a summary of the principal
   classes that a container author should be concerned with,
   information about the configuration model, - some example
   code for setting up a manager).

2. Description of the plug-in trandsport model.
   What are the interfaces that a new transport solution needs
   to implement.  How is a new transport integrated into the
   manager configuration.

3. Description of the client - in particular some notes
   indicating that the current client is not yet supporting
   plug-in transport and as such the API may change.

>> I havn't looked at logger, pool or testcase but I should get to those
>> later this evening.
>

> Kool.  All I really did since the last release candidate was ensure that
> the documentation associated with them really reflected the package that
> they were a part of.

Here is the summary on the rest:

   excalibur-logger, pool, component, and testcase

   * Documentation does not refer to local javadoc (the
     result of looking at the logkit release javadoc
     link is the sort of thing I'm expecting to see - not
     cornerstone blocks or the rest of Avalon) - my guess
     is that the doc setup for lokgki concerning the JavaDoc
     link needs to be copied to these packages (and the
     instrument package as well).

   excalibur-pool

   * Download link references jakarta <-- returns 404.

   excalibur-testcase

   * Level of documetation is well below and reasonable
     release standard - a rationale description should
     be provided and at least an example of how this
     packaged is used (and if that's not possible - then
     we should ask ourselves why we are doing the
     release).  The alternative is to bundle it as part
     of excalibur-component (which I would be ok with).

 Cheers, Steve.

p.s. Have also updated the manifests for testcase and component
(more as a matter of consistency then anything else).

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: [Excalibur] Is there anything preventing release of the RC2 packages?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Please, I need comments so that I can focus my energy and get this
> done ASAP.  Please look at the following location:
>
> http://avalon.apache.org/~bloritsch/excalibur-dist
>
> If there are any outstanding issues with the releases, please
> enumerate them now.  I want to do one more RC and then go for
> a vote--so I don't want to waste time.

Berin - I''ve just updated the instrument, instrument manager and
instrument client packages to include the ImplementationVendor-Id tags
in the manifest (required when using these jars as extensions in
environments like Tomcat).