Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "D. Stimits" <st...@comcast.net> on 2004/11/26 23:00:11 UTC

tomcat 5 directory layout Q.

I've been digging around on the tomcat web pages, and it appears that
the version 4 docs are still in use under version 5 tomcat. I'm new to
tomcat 5 and have only used tomcat 4 to a small extent, never had to
administrate it before. I'm trying to make sense of the subdirectories
"shared" and "common", it appears that they are almost the same thing
but initialized in different order. In particular, I'm interested in
learning batik and struts, and not really sure where to put the various
files since the directories used in the docs do not really correspond to
version 5. Can anyone direct me to a specific document on directory
layout for tomcat 5? Or at least suggest where to place/deploy struts
and batik under this newer layout to make the most general use of them?

Re: tomcat 5 directory layout Q.

Posted by "D. Stimits" <st...@comcast.net>.
D. Stimits wrote:
> I've been digging around on the tomcat web pages, and it appears that
> the version 4 docs are still in use under version 5 tomcat. I'm new to
> tomcat 5 and have only used tomcat 4 to a small extent, never had to
> administrate it before. I'm trying to make sense of the subdirectories
> "shared" and "common", it appears that they are almost the same thing
> but initialized in different order. In particular, I'm interested in
> learning batik and struts, and not really sure where to put the various
> files since the directories used in the docs do not really correspond to
> version 5. Can anyone direct me to a specific document on directory
> layout for tomcat 5? Or at least suggest where to place/deploy struts
> and batik under this newer layout to make the most general use of them?

Forgot to mention, I'm using 5.0.29 on Linux Fedora Core 2, with tarball
installed in /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.29/.