Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2013/02/15 17:44:56 UTC

FW: NOAA Meetup

Guys, I need to prepare a short talk on Apache SIS for this NOAA meetup next week.

I'm going to do it over Skype. Would love any input on slides or material you'd like me to include.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

From: Ilya Rosenfeld <ir...@opengeo.org>>
Date: Friday, February 15, 2013 8:43 AM
To: jpluser <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Subject: Re: NOAA Meetup

From: Ilya Rosenfeld <ir...@opengeo.org>>
Date: Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:59 PM
To: jpluser <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Subject: NOAA Meetup

Hey Chris - FYI: http://www.meetup.com/GFOSS-NOAA/

Feel free to join and participate! We're doing our next meetup in the DC  Area on Feb 20th but will have a telecon going. It'd be great to get you piped into this.

Best,
-Ilya

Re: NOAA Meetup

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Thanks Adam, makes sense.

Guys: another thing to note. Fast Feather tracks just opened up at
ApacheCon NA 2013. It's an opportunity for a short, but meaningful talk:

http://s.apache.org/BqE

Maybe we should do a Fast Feather on SIS? Any interest?

Cheers,
Chris

Re: NOAA Meetup

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Re: NOAA Meetup

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Martin, Adam, you both have the right goals. We're doing fine.

At Apache we take small, incremental, easily reversible steps. Grand,
sweeping change, and/o support for Feature Foo, etc., is usually not
happen overnight, and/or happen in a week or two weeks.

I would expect a provenance of:

1. I'm interested in some BiG feature X
 A. file JIRA issue with intent
 B. create wiki pages
 C. create consensus around the approach idea
 D. divide into small steps

2. Foreach s in steps
 A. File JIRA issue perhaps as sub-issue to 1A
 B. Demonstrate incremental progress with patches, either put up on
http://reviews.apache.org, and/or JIRA or both
 C. Discuss on 2B
 D. Update 1B
 E. iterate
 F. through consensus (lazy or not), commit B

3. Make potentially incremental releases while including parts or all of 1
4. Arrive eventually in some release Y at 1

Martin you have been doing a great job of all of the above. That's how we
get stuff done around here at the ASF.

Can we elaborate the missing steps in order, with some specific feedback
for example to getting to WMS? If we could, then I or others could try and
bite off at least the ones we're familiar with to help out. But request
for feature X really needs to be driven by the people that are interested
in X and have the time/desire to get there, e.g., those willing to
"scratch the itch".

HTH explains how it works.

Cheers,
Chris

Re: NOAA Meetup

Re: NOAA Meetup

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

I don't want to Shanghai this thread but I feel like I need to add my 2 cents here. I firmly believe that it's very valuable to have a toolkit for processing complex scientific data. I like your example of two seemingly different groups of scientists (eg. physicians and oceanographers) being able to work together to map cholera propagation through the use of common data/format standards. Having said that, I also think that there needs to be tools made available for the common user so that they can perform the same (or similar) analysis that the seasoned scientists can. Neogeography[1] is the term I know of that identifies this as the "the usage of geographical techniques and tools used for personal and community activities or for utilization by a non-expert group of users" This is very appealing to a lot of end users who may not have the skills needed to code up a robust solution but also know what problem they need to solve. I would love to have my cake and eat it too meaning that SIS would have both feature rich low level as well as high level tools and libraries that would appeal to all audiences. What is being added now adds to to the lower-level architecture, so what roadmap items can we lay down to start building tools and services on top of SIS for the causal user (eg. [2][3])?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neogeography
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SIS-67
[3] http://goo.gl/aZyRZ

Re: NOAA Meetup

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
Wanna create a directory in SVN for "presentations"? I don't see any issues with that assuming it does not violate any ASF rules and regs regarding the use of SVN for non-source code items.

Adam

Re: NOAA Meetup

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
I just added some slides as well...

Re: NOAA Meetup

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Thanks to Martin and Adam for providing this content. Totally understand
about the travel, Martin, maybe we can do something for SIS at the next
ApacheCon EU or whenever the next meeting is.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

Re: NOAA Meetup

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Chris

Re: NOAA Meetup

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
I would love to be there but my travel budget is extremely limited this year :( I will post a couple of slides I have related to the OGC and interoperability.

Re: NOAA Meetup

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Martin,

<ma...@geomatys.fr> wrote:

> [...]

>opportunity to revisit it and sometime to simplify it. When a feature
>seems overly complex, we have the possibility to search in the previous
>projects how this feature was used. This help us to determine how it can
>be simplified.

+1 and also the opportunity to look here at Apache to see if there is
cross fertilization with other Apache software to implement it too,
getting those guys vested and interested in what we are doing.

>An other reason for revisiting classes one-by-one is that the Java
>landscape as changed: JavaFX and Android need to be keep in mind, which
>imply for example to try to isolate Java2D dependencies in dedicated
>classes. Some factories may be replaced by JSR-330 (dependency
>injection). Support for supplementary Unicode characters become worthy,
>since they now include geographic symbols. OSGi support became a goal,

+1

Re: FW: NOAA Meetup

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Chris, Adam and all