Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Abhinandan Prateek <ab...@shapeblue.com> on 2016/06/01 05:57:01 UTC

Re: IPv6 Hackathon next week

On IPv6 support:

Cloudstack has limited IPv6 support already built into it IPv6 Support in CloudStack <http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/latest/networking/ipv6.html>. This does not appear to be in use ? And also looks like a superficial add on as against a well thought of feature.

IPv6 support is much required and there are efforts to add IPv6 support to cloudstack with different approaches. There is an effort to add IPv6 support to basic networking here IPv6 in Basic Networking <applewebdata://646A458E-2C5B-4B81-B02F-3EF89239A7BF/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/IPv6+in+Basic+Networking> and another one that is trying to add IPv6 support to VPC's networks here IPv6 in VPC Router <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/IPv6+in+VPC+Router>.

It is possible that the localised efforts may lead to code duplication and other inefficiencies and inelegancies. It is important that we write a common set of  network primitives that are IPv6 and IPv4 aware and that can be used further to enable IPv6 in various other components and resources managed by cloudstack.A start to this effect has been made in this OSPF PR: IPv6 in VPC Router <applewebdata://646A458E-2C5B-4B81-B02F-3EF89239A7BF/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/IPv6+in+VPC+Router>.

As part of this collab, can we get an overall IPv6 strategy in place so that the localised efforts have some thing to look upto ? This will mean A] Are the external cloudstack dependecies dual stack ? B] Where all dual scheme will be required and where it will be on choice, like Can I have a system vm services available on both IPV6 and IPV4 or while configuring the zone we just mark it as a IPV6 zone, for example. There will be more such questions.  Ready answers to such questions will help in moulding the various IPv6 works that are going on.

Regards,
-abhi

abhinandan.prateek@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: IPv6 Hackathon next week

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
> Op 1 juni 2016 om 7:57 schreef Abhinandan Prateek <ab...@shapeblue.com>:
>

> On IPv6 support:
>
> Cloudstack has limited IPv6 support already built into it IPv6 Support in CloudStack <http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/latest/networking/ipv6.html>. This does not appear to be in use ? And also looks like a superficial add on as against a well thought of feature.
>
> IPv6 support is much required and there are efforts to add IPv6 support to cloudstack with different approaches. There is an effort to add IPv6 support to basic networking here IPv6 in Basic Networking <applewebdata://646A458E-2C5B-4B81-B02F-3EF89239A7BF/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/IPv6+in+Basic+Networking> and another one that is trying to add IPv6 support to VPC's networks here IPv6 in VPC Router <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/IPv6+in+VPC+Router>.
>
> It is possible that the localised efforts may lead to code duplication and other inefficiencies and inelegancies. It is important that we write a common set of  network primitives that are IPv6 and IPv4 aware and that can be used further to enable IPv6 in various other components and resources managed by cloudstack.A start to this effect has been made in this OSPF PR: IPv6 in VPC Router <applewebdata://646A458E-2C5B-4B81-B02F-3EF89239A7BF/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/IPv6+in+VPC+Router>.
>
> As part of this collab, can we get an overall IPv6 strategy in place so that the localised efforts have some thing to look upto ? This will mean A] Are the external cloudstack dependecies dual stack ? B] Where all dual scheme will be required and where it will be on choice, like Can I have a system vm services available on both IPV6 and IPV4 or while configuring the zone we just mark it as a IPV6 zone, for example. There will be more such questions.  Ready answers to such questions will help in moulding the various IPv6 works that are going on.

This might be a good thing to discuss later today! Looking forward to the discussions later today.

Wido

Re: IPv6 Hackathon next week

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
We have set the hackathon meeting for tomorrow.

Friday June 3rd 11:00 EDT, that's 15:00 UTC.

Hangouts URL: https://hangouts.google.com/call/wvba4paauzg53l6vjylbodkiyie

Let's get IPv6 into CloudStack!

Wido