Posted to xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org by Dutta Satadip <s-...@sbcglobal.net> on 2003/12/04 08:32:21 UTC

Contributing to XMLBeans

Hello,
My name is dutta and I have been looking at the xmlbeans source code (v1) and going through the available documentation. I  used XML beans last year and thought ..this would be so good if this was available in the opensource. I came to know about this project from a friend who went to ApacheCon.

I am interested in contributing to this project. Typically I would try and look at bugzilla and go from there. The website listed the V2 Feature plan (http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XmlBeansFeaturePlan). Based on reading the email archives it seemed like there was work on V2 going on, however given the long list of features, I was wondering if anyone can help me find some starting point that would help progress the project forward.

A little bit about my background. I have been programming since 7th grade..started with logo and have since gone through a variety of languages C,C++, Basic, Pascal,Perl. I have been working with Java since 1997 and XML since 2000. I have a MS in Computer Science from Virginia Tech -Go Hokies!!. My bread and butter job is at Hewlett Packard.I also like writing and regularly write for ACM Computing Reviews(reviews.com) and also have written a article for Java Developers Journal.

With Regards
Dutta:)

Re: Contributing to XMLBeans

Posted by Dutta Satadip <s-...@sbcglobal.net>.
I think (# 1) might be a good place to start. If this is place that users are frequently asking for enhancements..this would be worthwhile.

I will start digging into the code  and see  how it goes.
Dutta:)

David Bau <da...@bea.com> wrote:
Cool! Here are a couple possible ideas that might be a good first project
and helpful to users.

(1) A number of people have asked for more useful information from the XML
schema validator. For example, "great that some element is missing here -
but which element?" And "I don't want to strip the QName of the offending
attribute from the text of the message, I want XmlError to have it." This
would be a good project, and I know there are some users who would thank you
very much. And depending on how involved you want to get, it could be an
algorithmically interesting project as well.

(2) Also, a common request is "why doesn't v1 support more of XPath?" Well,
cezar has done some good v2 work for using Jaxen for XPath, but this work
hasn't been ported into v1. Perhaps you might want to see what it would
take (I'm sure Cezar would help) to make v1 support Jaxen for XPath too.

Or... Do you have a specific area of interest?

David