Posted to commits@spamassassin.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/01/07 13:36:28 UTC

[Spamassassin Wiki] Update of "SingleUserUnixInstall" by JustinMason

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Spamassassin Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by JustinMason:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/SingleUserUnixInstall

The comment on the change is:
remove PERL5LIB; spamassassin ignores it (bug 5282). also LANG is over-complex

  = Setting up your path =

- If your system now or in the future may have other copies of spamassassin or the other packages installed on it, we want to make sure that it uses the version we're installing.  We do this by having the shell look first in our local bin directory.  Even more important, we need to tell Perl where to find the packages we're installing locally, and we try to work around a language bug with some versions of Perl 5.8.
+ If your system now or in the future may have other copies of spamassassin or the other packages installed on it, we want to make sure that it uses the version we're installing.  We do this by having the shell look first in our local bin directory.

  We can do this with bash by entering the following lines at the top of the .bashrc ({{{pico .bashrc}}}):

  {{{
  export PATH=$HOME/bin:$HOME/perl5/bin:$PATH
  export MANPATH=$HOME/man:$HOME/perl5/man:$MANPATH
- export PERL5LIB=$HOME/lib/perl5/:$HOME/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/:$PERL5LIB
- export LANG=en_US
  }}}

- The {{{5.8.3}}} should be replaced with the version you get when entering ({{{perl -v}}}).
+ Note that you should not attempt to use the {{{PERL5LIB}}} environment variable to control where perl finds the modules, since spamassassin's "taint mode" security-checking will ignore that.

  After saving and exiting (Choose Ctrl-X, then y, then enter), we reload the .bashrc with the command ({{{cd ~;. .bash_profile}}}).  The same commands would work if your shell is sh, ksh, or zsh, by editing the corresponding rc file.

@@ -44, +42 @@

  {{{
  setenv PATH $HOME/bin:$HOME/perl5/bin:$PATH
  setenv MANPATH $HOME/man:$HOME/perl5/man:$MANPATH
- setenv PERL5LIB $HOME/lib/perl5/:$HOME/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/:$PERL5LIB
- setenv LANG en_US
  }}}

  = Installing SpamAssassin =