Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Florian Weimer <fw...@deneb.enyo.de> on 2005/07/24 00:04:10 UTC

Re: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use

* Alex Karasulu:

> Company A decides to integrate Apache Directory Server which now uses JE
> into their product which they sell.
>
> Does the license for JE require company A to have to license JE from
> SleepyCat?

If they don't provide source code to their product under some kind of
free software license, the answer seems to be yes.

Re: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On 7/24/2005 4:40 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

>Hi !
>
>On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 07:04 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>

>>>The Sleepycat license is that if you don't have total source
>>>(essentially GPL) then you pay Sleepycat a fee
>>>

>>>Personally I'd recommend an approach where you have an option
>>>

>>There is no such option.  JE is a dead end.  We do not pass along additional
>>restrictions beyond the ALv2 (which means essentially no restrictions).
>>

>I think that the best thing to do is validate backends without
>delivering them. There is no issue if you do that. Let's use JDBM as a
>kind of RI, bundled with the ApacheDS package, and let others use
>whatever they want, assuming they will donwload those backends and deal
>with IP issues by themselves.
>
>So we can work with JE, validate that ApacheDS works well with it, using
>an abstraction layer above it, avoiding licenses problem, and tell the
>community : "ApacheDS works well and is fully tested against JE, up to
>you to download JE" (or wathever DB).

+1  Great idea.

Regards,
Alan

Re: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
> >So we can work with JE, validate that ApacheDS works well with it, using
> >an abstraction layer above it, avoiding licenses problem, and tell the
> >community : "ApacheDS works well and is fully tested against JE, up to
> >you to download JE" (or wathever DB).
> >
> >2cts.
> >

> Funny you say this I already made that abstraction layer above it.
>
> Good thinking Emmanuel.
>
> Alex

Abstract layers is a good solution to avoid real lawyers ...

Emmanuel.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Let's use JDBM as a kind of RI, bundled with the ApacheDS
> package, and let others use whatever they want, assuming
> they will donwload those backends and deal with IP issues
> by themselves.

+1

That's what JAMES does with the file system repositories, and we'll do the same with Derby soon.

	--- Noel

RE: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Hi !

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 07:04 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > The Sleepycat license is that if you don't have total source
> > (essentially GPL) then you pay Sleepycat a fee
>
> > Personally I'd recommend an approach where you have an option
>
> There is no such option.  JE is a dead end.  We do not pass along additional
> restrictions beyond the ALv2 (which means essentially no restrictions).

I think that the best thing to do is validate backends without
delivering them. There is no issue if you do that. Let's use JDBM as a
kind of RI, bundled with the ApacheDS package, and let others use
whatever they want, assuming they will donwload those backends and deal
with IP issues by themselves.

So we can work with JE, validate that ApacheDS works well with it, using
an abstraction layer above it, avoiding licenses problem, and tell the
community : "ApacheDS works well and is fully tested against JE, up to
you to download JE" (or wathever DB).

2cts.

Emmanuel Lécharny

RE: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Mark Wilcox <ma...@gmail.com>.
The Sleepycat license is that if you don't have total source
(essentially GPL) then you pay Sleepycat a fee (the code is
essentially dual-licensed).

Personally I'd recommend an approach where you have an option - use JE
by preference because I'd expect it to be high-quality with the
ability to use another perhaps less quality implementation.

I suspect (based on the type of work OctetString does - which is very
similar to this project) - many implementations will use the code as a
virtual-directory engine. That is use the LDAP interfaces to provide
access to external DB's (like SAP or PeopleSoft) that are not normally
LDAP ready.

Mark

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com>.
+1

hsqldb is not very well suited as a directory.  it's easy to setup but
data is stored either as a "script" or in a csv file.  there are a few
directories that store information using RDBMs (oracle and ibm), so if
you have the inclination it's been done before.

marc

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Tony Blanchard <bl...@wanadoo.fr>.
Maybe the HSQLDB and its license would be better than sleepycat ones :
http://hsqldb.org/web/hsqlLicense.html
Maybe it is a little bit more complex tha JE ...

Tony

Posted by David Boreham <da...@bozemanpass.com>.
Mark Wilcox wrote:

>I don't think anyone is saying you should require  Sleepycat JE to use
>Apache DS - just make it an option. Then that shouldn't violate
>anyones license or principals unless you're going to be an idealogue
>and that's as limiting to innovation/adoption/community as any certain
>monopolistic company.

I agree. But I'm not familiar with the Apache licensing thinking,
so my opinion doesn't count for much.

I do think that the Apache DS needs to 'work' with no database per se
(to handle cases like the LDAP Proxy and the NT4 Virtual Directory
we built for Fedora DS, for example). I'd prefer to see Apache DS's
core config stored in flat files, to remove any dependency on a database.

OTOH, I also think that JE would make a great backend database for
Apache DS when it's used in a 'traditional' LDAP server scenario: holding
its own data.

WFIW I don't like the idea of using a SQL-based shim layer such as
JDBC --- there's a significant impedance mismatch between the
requirements of an LDAP back end and SQL.

Re: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use

Posted by Mark Wilcox <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Boreham <da...@bozemanpass.com>.
Paul Franz wrote:

> Can you point me to a location where I can found where "Redistribution
> By Proxy" is defined.

Sorry I can't, beyond the definition I already gave (moving the point
of integration between some closed-source product and some open
source component upon which it depends out to the end user's computer).

Any lawyer that deals with software IPR should be able to advise you on
the details however.

Re: [bdbje] [Licensing] Open Source verses Commercial Use

Posted by Paul Franz <th...@comcast.net>.
Can you point me to a location where I can found where "Redistribution
By Proxy" is defined.

Paul Franz

Posted by David Boreham <da...@bozemanpass.com>.

Posted by Paul Franz <th...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com>.
ahh, thats probably the loophole that distros use, you can get the
source to everything.

Marc