Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by beegee beegee <bg...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/01 08:01:58 UTC

Jmeter on mac and windows

Hi, I have a mac os x 10.4.11 _ tiger
1 GB ram 80 GB hard disk
I guess this may not be a good configuration for conducting performance tests
However.  I would liek to install JMETER on my mac
and have an agent installed in a windows machine
the config for this could be 4gb of RAM and 320 Gb of hard disk with
an Intel core duo
Will this be a better idea, or else what do you guys suggest
will i need a video monitor for both cpus or should one be more than enough

Re: Jmeter on mac and windows

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi
I don't know ballparks for mac.  and typically you have to run and check how
your client machine is being utilised to see what limit you have reached.
Memory per user depends on your test and things like how much memory java
allocates to the stack (-Xss)
>and the amount of heap may not be sufficient.
You should be able to check how many times your jmeter client is running a
full GC , too many would be erroneous , again , test on your machine. Ive
never tried running jmeter on a mac , so Im probably not a good candidate to
answer these questions

>1. If an agent can be installed on a windows system
Yes
>2. The master can be installed in the mac
Yes I think. As far as I remember jmeter used RMI so long as that works
between mac and windows , this *should* work. ive never tried it though.
>3. tests to be run on windows only
Im not sure why you want to do this. why do you need anything on the mac
then - just to kick of the tests?. I cant remember if you can do this anyway
:)
 >4. should i have a lan to connect both machines
You need connectivity and a port open between the master and slave.
>5. Also, are there any major issues with vista, when you use jmeter
Nope , Ive used vista without issues.

regards
deepak

Re: Jmeter on mac and windows