Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/05 19:13:59 UTC

Schema maipulations in the API

Hi guys,

today, I added a SchemaLoader that loads the schemas directly from a
server SubschemaSubentry. That supposes the server's rootDse contains a
subschemaSubentry attribute, of course.

Using it in the API will allow a user to load the schemas his server
supports, and to use them locally to check what needs to be checked.

There are a few things that need to be worked out though :
- we don't load anything like comparators, or syntaxCheckers (except
from ApacheDS), simply because they are not exposed.
- we don't have a way to list the HR attributes in the API. This can be
a problem as we suppose that every attribute's value is a String when we
read them from a server.

The second issue is a real problem. JNDI has a list of binary
attributes, and this list can be extended. We need to add the very same
feature in the API. For instance, if you load a JPegPhoto from a server,
it will be read as a String, and as it's a binary file, when converting
its content to Unicode from UTF-8, the data will be modified.

There is a JIRA for this one
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRAPI-78), I'll try to fix it
tonite.

More to come...