Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Simon Funnell <si...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/29 12:28:43 UTC

Minimum Memory Amount

Hi,

I am wondering what the minimum memory usage of james is as I plan to use a
VPS with 1GB of memory running tomcat, mysql and james. It is a basic setup
with the SMTP/IMAP components and one user, I expect 1 email sent and 1
recieved every 1 to 5 minutes, very low traffic. I can use the filesystem
or database for storing mails. Can I get away with allocating 128MB of
memory?

Thanks.

Re: Minimum Memory Amount

Posted by Garry Hurley <ga...@gmail.com>.
I believe there are requirements listed on the project website. Remember, this is a java application and as such, JVMs require a minimum amount of memory to work properly. Look at the wrapper.cml file in the conf directory. Minimum is 128 MB and maximum is 512MB. I would give the VPS at least 4 GB to be safe. That way you have 512MB for James, 1 GB for MySQL, and 1 GB for Tomcat with the rest going to the OS. Now, if you are running all of that on Windows, use 6 GB but leave all the settings the same for the apps because ‘Windows’.

Sent from my iPhone