Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Bill Irving <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/28 05:13:08 UTC

MSWord documents

I am receiving a number of word and excel documents lately with the 'X'
file type (docx & xlsx). I noticed that the "save as" file types in open
office do not support these file types.  If I save the files as the word
97/2000/xp doc format will I lose anything??

And, are there any plans on upgrading the saved file type to an 'X'
format (docx & xlsx).

Thanks for your help.

Bill Irving

Re: MSWord documents

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 05/27/2013 11:13 PM, Bill Irving wrote:
> If I save the files as the word 97/2000/xp doc format will I lose
> anything??

The DOC format, although not perfectly supported, is supported pretty
well in AOO. When given the choice, I usually choose DOC over DOCX
because of this. LibreOffice supports DOCX at this time, but I still
choose DOC over DOCX if I have a choice there.

> And, are there any plans on upgrading the saved file type to an 'X'
> format (docx & xlsx).

You should be able to read DOCX files in AOO now, and I do believe that
DOCX support for writing is planned. I do not remember the planned
release version, however. With my horrid memory, I do not remember if it
was 4.0 or 4.1 as an expected release (but my memory may be faulty).

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php