Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by javier <ja...@b4before.com> on 2002/06/14 20:20:03 UTC

James-2.0a3 Instalations

Hello, i'm try to install James 2.0a3, but don't can it.

The problem is how to do for end the instalation.

I run ../bin/run.bat,  but the batch don't end automatically:

The batch show :

                        Phoenix 4.0a4
James 2.0a3-cvs
Started POP3 Server plain:110
Started SMTP Server plain:25
Started NNTP Server plain:119

.and don't end.

Whats is the error, or how solutions this problems for end
installations?

Re: James-2.0a3 Instalations

Posted by Michael Locasto <ml...@pfsmarketing.com>.

> I think it unpacks the files again.

It shouldn't....

What is happening that seems to indicate this?

> Is there another file I should run or any other thing I have to
> configure ??

I don't think so, under $JAMES_HOME/apps/ you should now have a directory
james/
and now James should be running just fine. Anything else you want to
configure should be in conf/config.xml.

> What DNS should I put in DNS, the DNS of my computer or the internal
> server DNS ????

The conf/config.xml file seems to indicate that you can use either.
Looking
at the source code for org.apache.james.dnsserver.DNSServer, the DNSServer
relies on stuff in the org.xbill.DNS package, and it looks like it
operates
like any DNS server would.

I'm guessing you're staring at these two pieces of XML:

<!-- CONFIRM? -->
      <!-- servernames identifies the DNS namespace served by this
instance
      of James.
      If autodetect is TRUE, James wil attempt to discover its own name
AND use
      any specified servernames.  If autodetect is FALSE, James will use
only
      the specified servernames.  By default, the servername 'localhost'
is
      specified. This can be removed, if required. -->
      <servernames autodetect="TRUE">
        <!--
        <servername>To override autodetected server names
                    uncomment this.  </servername>-->
        <servername>localhost</servername>
      </servernames>

<!-- CONFIRM? Enter ip address of your DNS server, one per element -->
  <dnsserver>
        <servers>
          <server>127.0.0.1</server>
          <!--<server> put extra dns server address here </server>-->
        </servers>
        <authoritative>false</authoritative>
  </dnsserver>

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like you can leave the defaults or use
the DNS IP's of your ISP.

Regards,
Michael

RE: James-2.0a3 Instalations