Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2007/07/12 18:15:20 UTC

Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Need a rule written to take advantage of this trick and this could be a
major breakthrough in white listing.

Here's what it needs to do:

1) Take the IP of the connecting host and do an RDNS lookup to get the name.
2) Verify that the name that was looked up resolves to the same IP address.
3) Look up the name in this dns list ===
example.com.hostdomain.junkemailfilter.com
4) if it returns 127.0.0.1 - it's ham

Lets say the sending host is 69.50.231.2

RNDS of 69.50.231.2 is 2.ctyme.com
Looking up 2.ctyme.com returns 69.50.231.2 ---- MATCH!
Lookup 2.ctyme.com.hostdomain.junkemailfilter.com - returns 127.0.0.1 -
It's HAM!

That's all there is to it.

If you're running Exim it's even easier.

accept    dnslists =
hostdomain.junkemailfilter.com=127.0.0.1/$sender_host_name

The Exim version works. Need someone to make it work for Spam Assassin.

The reason for the matching is that spammers can't spoof RDNS if you
verify it by matching the RNDS to the original IP. I have a few thousand
popular domains listed. If this works and with a bigger central list we
can probably ID 99% of ham without further processing.

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

> Marc, I'm quite amazed that you still haven't picked up the term FCrDNS!

Thanks - never hard that before. Glad there's a word for it.

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Marc Perkel wrote:
> Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>> Marc Perkel wrote:

>>> SPF is rather useless. Spammers can publish SPF records.

>> Guess what Marc, spammers can publish ANY DNS records!  That includes
>> TXT records, type 99 (SPF) records, and your precious A and PTR records.

> What spammers can't do is publish a forward confirmed RNDS that ends in
> wellsfargo.com, which would be a listed domain.

WTF does whitelisting a domain have to do with whether or not a spammer
can publish DNS records.

 From a DNS "forgeability" standpoint "your" method of checking FCrDNS
and checking for SPF_PASS are on equal ground.

Daryl

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> I appreciate you effort in this but lets come up with something
>> useful. If you give up SPF I will give you and PoBox some anti-spam
>> technology that will revolutionize your spam filtering. I'm just
>> tired of having to deal with the bad side effects of SPF and
>> expainging to people that the can't use my spam filtering unless they
>> turn SPF off.
>
> Marc, dude, for a guy that's proposing a reputation service (as if
> that was some sort of new revolutionary idea) I'm bedazzled (well not
> so much, I'm getting used to this) that you can not connect the
> benefit off being able to link an (controlling) identity to a
> previously unknown host.
>
> Forget any forwarding issues, if the mail doesn't pass SPF you simply
> won't be able to link the identity to the reputation database.  This
> is no different than your idea where mail from a domain on your
> whitelist gets forwarded; you lose the ability to link that identity
> to your whitelist/reputation database.

The identity link is at the registrar barrier. I even have a DNS lookup
for that.

example.com.rb.junkemailfilter.com

It returns 127.0.0.1 for single TLDs, 127.0.0.2 for 2 level TLDs etc.

So - you do a lookup and then you count dots back from the end and that
becomes your key.

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

John D. Hardin wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Marc Perkel wrote:
>

>> I'm just tired of having to deal with the bad side effects of SPF
>> and expainging to people that the can't use my spam filtering
>> unless they turn SPF off.
>>

> What's wrong with that? They are explicitly contracting with you to
> perform mail forwarding, if they do that then they should add your
> MTAs to their SPF whitelist and still perform SPF checks on mail
> that does not reach them via you.
>
> Are you performing SPF checks on your inbound feeds?

I perform no SPF checks at all because it's useless. There is no
information to be gathered that's useful. Several people forward email
to my servers and it breaks forwarding. I also forward email to other
servers (front end spam filtering) and when I forward good email the
receiving server sometimes rejects the message because of SPF false
positives.

SPF breaks email forwarding. And that's something that the world isn't
going to give up for 0 benefit.

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Marc Perkel wrote:

> I'm just tired of having to deal with the bad side effects of SPF
> and expainging to people that the can't use my spam filtering
> unless they turn SPF off.

What's wrong with that? They are explicitly contracting with you to
perform mail forwarding, if they do that then they should add your
MTAs to their SPF whitelist and still perform SPF checks on mail
that does not reach them via you.

Are you performing SPF checks on your inbound feeds?

  Ignorance doesn't make stuff not exist.               -- Bucky Katt
 12 days until The 38th anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Bill Landry wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote the following on 7/12/2007 7:19 PM -0800:
>
>> Meng Weng Wong wrote:

>>> I'd like to suggest that where the domain publishes SPF, we use that;
>>> where it doesn't, we use your algorithm.
>>>
>>> I recently coded up a very similar approach; I posted about it on the
>>> SPF and Karmasphere mailing lists.  Here is the original message:
>>>

>> SPF is rather useless. Spammers can publish SPF records.
>>
> Hmmm, and that said in response to the author of SPF...  Oops!

Good - I hope he's listening. SPF was an interesting attempt at
something but it breaks email forwarding unless you mangle the headers.
i've spent many hours trying to figure out some use for SPF and have
found no use for it at all. In fact all it's lead to is false positives
as I forward email to other hosts who reject it because of SPF failures.

There's lots of ideas I've had too that have gone nowhere and when I
figure out that I'm on the wrong track and what I'm trying to do just
isn't working then I give it up. So - Meng - why don't you just give it
up on SPF and quit wasing everyone's time on a broken idea.

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@inetmsg.com>.
Bill Landry wrote the following on 7/12/2007 9:58 PM -0800:
> Marc Perkel wrote the following on 7/12/2007 7:19 PM -0800:
>
>> Meng Weng Wong wrote:

>>> I'd like to suggest that where the domain publishes SPF, we use that;
>>> where it doesn't, we use your algorithm.
>>>
>>> I recently coded up a very similar approach; I posted about it on the
>>> SPF and Karmasphere mailing lists.  Here is the original message:
>>>

>> SPF is rather useless. Spammers can publish SPF records.
>>
> Hmmm, and that said in response to the author of SPF...  Oops!

Oh, and BTW Meng, the KARMA plugin for SA is working quite nicely here.
Thanks for all of your ongoing efforts in the fight against spam!

Bill

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@inetmsg.com>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 07:19:06PM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> SPF is rather useless. Spammers can publish SPF records.

Right, they can publish SPF records, so what?  You want to know if
example.com is coming from a place that mail from example.com is supposed
to come from, and SPF tells you that.  It has nothing to do with ham
versus spam, and gives you better information than just requesting a
PTR record.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"You can test this theory by strapping a piece of buttered bread to

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Dave Pooser <da...@pooserville.com>.
> SPF is rather useless. Spammers can publish SPF records.

Which is why the OP specifically stated:

>> What does it mean?  An SPF pass, on its own, means little; an RHSWL
>> match, on its own, means little; but together, they mean a lot.

Was it asking too much of you to READ the message posted before you
commented on it, especially since it seems to complement your own idea quite
nicely?
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Posted by Luis Hernán Otegui <lu...@gmail.com>.
2007/7/12, Meng Weng Wong <me...@pobox.com>:
> [...]
>
> I'd like to suggest that where the domain publishes SPF, we use that;
> where it doesn't, we use your algorithm.
>
> I recently coded up a very similar approach; I posted about it on the
> SPF and Karmasphere mailing lists.  Here is the original message:
>

> On Jul 12, 2007, at 6:53 PM, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
> > Cross-posted to the SPF and Karmasphere lists ...
> >
> > On Jul 12, 2007, at 12:45 PM, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
> >>
> >> Those of you who have been following the authentication movement
> >> will remember that reputation was always part of the plan.
> >>
> >> It is the job of SPF/DKIM/etc to provide authentication.
> >>
> >> Karmasphere's job is to provide reputation.
> >>

> > I have had a huge grin on my face for the last half an hour.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > This afternoon I finally got up to speed with SpamAssassin's meta-
> > rules.
> >
> > and I just now got this report in my headers:
> >
> >  * -0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
> >  * -0.0 KS_REPUTABLE_DOMAIN_DNS RBL: Envelope sender in mengwong
> > whitelist feedset
> >  * -123 AUTH_ACCOUNTABLE Envelope sender is both authenticated and
> > reputable
> >
> > What does it mean?  An SPF pass, on its own, means little; an RHSWL
> > match, on its own, means little; but together, they mean a lot.
> >
> > To obtain that score of -123, the message has to pass SPF and the
> > envelope sender domain has to be whitelisted at the
> > "mengwong.manywl-v1.dnswl.karmasphere.com" RHSWL.
> >
> > "mengwong.manywl-v1" is, in turn, a Karmasphere feedset that
> > contains multiple other whitelists, including the dnswl.org's
> > sources, ISIPP, Truste, and VeriSign's list of SSL certified domains.
> >
> > More feeds are being added to that feedset as we discover new
> > sources of domain whitelists.
> >
> > I am tremendously pleased.  For me, this is the culmination of
> > several years of work: SPF offers authentication, and Karmasphere
> > offers reputation.  Together, they fight spam!
> >
> > Here's the snippet from my local.cf that does this:
> >
> >   # karmasphere domain-based whitelist
> >   header   KS_REPUTABLE_DOMAIN_DNS    eval:check_rbl_envfrom
> > ('mengwong.manywl-v1', 'mengwong.manywl-v1.dnswl.karmasphere.com.')
> >   describe KS_REPUTABLE_DOMAIN_DNS    Envelope sender in mengwong
> > whitelist feedset
> >   tflags   KS_REPUTABLE_DOMAIN_DNS    net
> >
> >   score KS_REPUTABLE_DOMAIN_DNS -0.01
> >
> >   meta     AUTH_ACCOUNTABLE   ((SPF_PASS || DKIM_VERIFIED ||
> > DK_VERIFIED) && KS_REPUTABLE_DOMAIN_DNS)
> >   describe AUTH_ACCOUNTABLE   Envelope sender is both authenticated
> > and reputable
> >   tflags   AUTH_ACCOUNTABLE   userconf nice noautolearn
> >
> >   score AUTH_ACCOUNTABLE -123
> >
> > I'm very happy!
> >
> > (At this time, while Karmasphere is in beta, querying that
> > whitelist requires IP registration; it will not work if you do not
> > have an account.  After we're out of beta that requirement will be
> > dropped.)
> >
> > Off to rummage through the fridge in search of champagne...

Well, if my two cents worth anything, here in Argentina most of the
"big fishes" in the internet mail game (telephone and cellular
companies, internet providers, banks, etc) either don't publish any
SPF records at all, or they send their mail from hosts not listed as
MX, or they don't have a proper setup of their RDNS... It makes a
living hell to whitelist some of them, since they switch mail servers
as much as I change my socks (well, maybe I change my socks a little
more often than that...).

Jokes apart, on the other hand, recently we are seeing some
"legitimate" email publilshing enterprises, with proper SPF and MX
setups. Examples of this are 2marketed.com.ar, emailservers.com.ar,
mailservice.com.ar and some others.

Guess that only you could be sure of the hosts you control, as was
said before in this discussion...

Luis

GNU-GPL: "May The Source Be With You...
Linux Registered User #448382.
When I grow up, I wanna be like Theo...

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Meng Weng Wong <me...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Marc Perkel wrote:

> If you do a lookup of the host name to verify it resolves back to the
> same IP then spammers can't forge that.

And?  It doesn't work for my example, does it?

> Then I have a list of big companies that never send spam.

Oxymoron.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Loren Wilton wrote:
> How about this one:
>
> Client IP is 213.200.218.50 - reverse lookup returns mail.specogna.ch.
> Lookup mail.specogna.ch returns 213.200.218.50.  Looks good.
> Lookup mail.specogna.ch.junkemailfilter.com - (what does this tell me,
> regardless of what it returns?)
> But let's assume mail.specogna.ch.junkemailfilter.com does return
> 127.0.0.1 - it means nothing wrt ham/spam.  That mail-server is
> occasionally being used by a spambot sat on an internal machine at that
> company.
>
> I think what Marc is saying is that he is creating a global whitelist.
> Presumably that machine (being an occasional spammer) would not get
> itself on a whitelist, or would get itself removed pretty quickly.  So
> presumably 127.0.0.1 is supposed to mean something relative to
> ham/spam for a given host, and the only trick is to be sure that the
> host id isn't forged.
>
>        Loren

If you do a lookup of the host name to verify it resolves back to the
same IP then spammers can't forge that. Then I have a list of big
companies that never send spam. If this works the we should increase the
list and polish the system.

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Dave Koontz wrote:
> Marc, please don't mis-read.  Honestly, it was a simple question.  Is
> the list from your own observation, or from user submissions?  It's that
> simple.   The rest is just why it may not work for us in it's present form!

It's a combination of a lot of sources. Some of them came from a list I
downloaded from uribl.org.

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Dave Koontz <dk...@mbc.edu>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Kister <sp...@jeremykister.com>.
On 7/12/2007 5:14 PM, Marc Perkel wrote:

> atx.net

This is a shared domain hosted by an ISP's shared mail servers.  Any
customer of the ISP can have an email address at this domain and each
has permission to send email from it.  This clearly doesn't belong.

> gov
[...]
> grants.gov

does gov mean *.gov. ?  or literally 'gov' ?

if it's *.gov. (like server.whitehouse.gov.) i think that could be a
good idea.  but then why list grants.gov ?

on the same idea of listing *.gov, *.state.[ISO 3166-2].us could good
too (like server.state.pa.us)

I'm not advocating blind acceptance of mail from these hosts -- but a
point system could be a good idea.

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 14:14 12-07-2007, Marc Perkel wrote:
>Here's my list so far. These are host name - not from addresses. So
>it matches *.hostname.com

I have seen spam and viruses originating from some of the domains you listed.

Regards,
-sm

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Meng Weng Wong <me...@pobox.com>.
On Jul 12, 2007, at 12:35 PM, Per Jessen wrote:

> Yeah, me too.  I have a pretty decent list of whitelist_from_rcvd
> statements that is exactly that.  If Marc can provide such a list, we
> might have something worth discussing.

Would you be willing to share your whitelist with the public?

For privacy, might be best to leave out the localparts and just
publish the domains.

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Loren Wilton wrote:

> I think what Marc is saying is that he is creating a global whitelist.

Yeah, me too.  I have a pretty decent list of whitelist_from_rcvd
statements that is exactly that.  If Marc can provide such a list, we
might have something worth discussing.

> Presumably that machine (being an occasional spammer) would not get
> itself on a whitelist, or would get itself removed pretty quickly.

Well, it would get on to the whitelist_from_rcvd list with little
difficulty.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.
Ken A wrote:

> or maybe a bot, who knows.. unless you establish with some confidence
> that the IP used sends ham only, you have nothing. According to arin,
> wellsfargo.com has 151.151.0.0/16 at least.. probably more. You really
> think you can trust 65534 hosts, so long as somebody setup the DNS
> properly?

IMO, you can't/shouldn't trust any host you don't directly control.

Everyone else either IS an adversary, or is vulnerable to being
manipulated by an adversary.  That may seem a little paranoid, but it
has served me well over the years.

They don't get into my trusted networks, and I'm surely not going to put
them into my whitelists, nor trust hosts just because they got put into
a global whitelist.

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.
Per Jessen wrote:
> Ken A wrote:
>
>>> Nope, that's not correct.  It's being sent by a Wells Fargo mail
>>> server, that is all.
>>>
>> or maybe a bot, who knows.. unless you establish with some confidence
>> that the IP used sends ham only, you have nothing.
>
> My point exactly. And even if you do "establish with some confidence",
> how much confidence is that really?

Confidence is everything, whether it's ham or spam, whether you are
looking at DNS, Content, or any statistical value you come up with.
That's why SA is so great, because you can combine things like the
Botnet plugin and various content checks and all sorts of things into a
score that represents a confidence.

M. Perkel tends towards oversimplification and curious 'marketing-like'
subject lines that get threads like this one going. Sometimes it's
interesting, but usually not. ymmv.

Ken

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Per Jessen wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
>

>> 1) Take the IP of the connecting host and do an RDNS lookup to get the
>> name.
>> 2) Verify that the name that was looked up resolves to the same
>> IP address.
>> 3) Look up the name in this dns list ===
>> example.com.hostdomain.junkemailfilter.com
>> 4) if it returns 127.0.0.1 - it's ham
>>
>> Lets say the sending host is 69.50.231.2
>>
>> RNDS of 69.50.231.2 is 2.ctyme.com
>> Looking up 2.ctyme.com returns 69.50.231.2 ---- MATCH!
>> Lookup 2.ctyme.com.hostdomain.junkemailfilter.com - returns 127.0.0.1
>> - It's HAM!
>>
>> That's all there is to it.
>>

> Uh, why?
>
> How about this one:
>
> Client IP is 213.200.218.50 - reverse lookup returns mail.specogna.ch.
> Lookup mail.specogna.ch returns 213.200.218.50.  Looks good.
> Lookup mail.specogna.ch.junkemailfilter.com - (what does this tell me,
> regardless of what it returns?)
> But let's assume mail.specogna.ch.junkemailfilter.com does return
> 127.0.0.1 - it means nothing wrt ham/spam.  That mail-server is
> occasionally being used by a spambot sat on an internal machine at that
> company.
>

> /Per Jessen, Zürich

What I have is a database of a few thousand big domains who never send
spam. Banks, Credit Card compaines, airlines, and other big bisunesses.
Once the host is verified as not being spoofed RDNS then for example the
host is *.wellsfargo.com then it's from Wells Fargo Bank.

I'm using it with Exim now and about 80% of ham is identified this way
allowing me to bypass SA and reduce system load and improve accuracy.

Re: Need a rule written - Can whitelisting be this easy?

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.