Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Alan Strauss <an...@cox.net> on 2017/03/01 14:25:06 UTC

word

I have an article I am writing that is required to be written in microsoft word.  My friend said that the word processing system provided with open office is exactly the same as “word”.  If I submit the Article in the open office text system will they be able to use it without any problems?

thank you

aes

Re: word

Posted by M Henri Day <mh...@gmail.com>.

> I have an article I am writing that is required to be written in microsoft
> word.  My friend said that the word processing system provided with open
> office is exactly the same as “word”.  If I submit the Article in the open
> office text system will they be able to use it without any problems?
>
> thank you
>
> aes

​Alan, rather than saving the document in the .odt file format, you would
probably be advised to save it in .doc format, in order to be sure that
MIcrosoft Office ​
​doesn't mess it up. If the document is straight-forward, without any
macros, you should be able to do with without​

​difficulty....

Henri

Re: word

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
I have written numerous articles for publication using OpenOffice with
no problem. I think that you must first determine what format is
required/supported by the publisher (DOC, DOCX, ODT, etc). If they
directly support ODT, you are finished. if not, then you simply save
your file in a supported format and submit that.

There may be a few formatting issues when saving in a different format,
but, these usually require complicated constructs not used when
submitting for publication; for example, worrying about precise
placement of a figure relative to a paragraph. These sorts of things are
usually changed by an editor using fancy programs to get the layout as
they want it, so it has, in my experience, not mattered.

Even if it did matter, support is sufficiently good, that it still does
not matter (in general).