Posted to dev@sqoop.apache.org by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/03/07 07:22:42 UTC

Sqoop contributor meetings

Dear contributors of the Sqoop community. Subsequent to earlier discussions we had, please see the following that describes the approach for Sqoop contributor meetings.

I am proposing the following for a vote. Please vote on this. The voting will run for 7 days and will end on EOD Mar 14, 2015.

Venkat Ranganathan and Jarek Jarcec Cecho (Sqoop PMC Members)?

===

Sqoop contributor meetings:

Goal : Foster faster contributions and easier discussions.

Reasoning: We've seen regular contributors meetups quite helpful in order communities (Hive, Parquet to name a few), so we would like to try them out in Sqoop as well.

Frequency:  The proposal is to meet roughly once in 4 weeks.

Duration of each meeting:   60-120 minutes

Meeting Place:  We'll host Google hangout, so that everyone can join. We will also look at hosting these events in companies so that contributors can get to know each other and enjoy some drinks and food also!

Meeting topics:  Contributors can send the topics of interest to the mailing list.   It may be as simple as a JIRA ticket id or some presentation about usage/experience.   Topics for the meetings will be selected and agenda sent out at least 3 days before the meetings    There can be ad-hoc topics for discussions if there is enough time.

Followup:   Minutes and action items will be captured and sent to the mailing list.

===

Re: Sqoop contributor meetings

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
I’m obviously +1, since we are proposing that with Venkat together.

Jarcec

Posted by Veena Basavaraj <vy...@gmail.com>.
Venkat,

The kafka team has put up the guidelines in the wiki, it may need some
modifications to suit the needs of sqoop. I am not the best person to
comment on it.

But it is good reference we can start with.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+Improvement+Proposals
There are already close to 10 such proposals in their project. They also
discuss these regularly on the dev email/ hangout and go for a vote once
the discussions are done. They keep s status of the KIP in the wiki as well.

Veena

--
Regards
vybs

Re: Sqoop contributor meetings

Posted by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>.
Good idea.  Thanks Veena.

Posted by Veena Basavaraj <vy...@gmail.com>.
+1.

--
Regards
vybs

Re: Sqoop contributor meetings

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.
+1.

Thanks for driving this!

Posted by "Zhou, Richard" <ri...@intel.com>.
+1, too. Thanks Venkat & Jarcec!

Regards
Richard

+1 as well. Thanks Venkat and Jarcec :).

Posted by Abraham Elmahrek <ab...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ahmed Radwan <ah...@apache.org>.
+1 Thanks Venkat and Jarcec!

Posted by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>.
Dear all

Here is my +1 before closing of vote.  I had kept it open for one day into
the week!

This vote is now closed and the vote passed with 8 votes - 3 binding and 5
non-binding votes.

Binding

Venkat Ranganathan
Jarek Jarcec Cecho
Ahmed Radwan

Non binding:

Abraham Elmahrek
Gwen Shapira
Richard Zhou
Veena Baswaraj

Thanks everyone

We will shortly come up with the mechanics

Thanks

Venkat