Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com> on 2004/02/19 10:15:49 UTC

incomplete checkout

Hi all out there!

First of all: I have no receipe for this nor can I say with which SVN
or TSVN version this has happened. But it is something I can
neither explain nor have a solution for. And it might be worth for the
record.

By pure chance I found that in one working copy a pair of files
(14554_d.htm and 14554_e.htm) is missing and is not added with
update either. That machine currently runs SVN .34, but that
should not be decisive. OS is Win2K SP2.

These two files are in the repository, they are in other working
copies, and they are checked out in a new working copy from both
HEAD and rev. 159, too.

The log file shows them being added December 3 last year with
rev. 159 and have not been changed since. Current rev. is 272.
Other modifications and additions of rev. 159 are present. I cannot
tell what versions of SVN/TSVN were running that time.

If I copy the two files into the working copy they are shown as non-
versioned files.

While these two files may have been deleted by accident, they
should have been either restored with next update or deleted from
the repository as being absent with next commit. However, there is
practically no chance that the user of that working copy also may
have deleted the copies of those two files in the .svn folder. Show
hidden files is turned off on that machine and the user does not
have the knowledge to turn it on.

Any idea what might have happened? Or what can be done except
checking out a new working copy (takes about 45-60 minutes) and
hoping it will not happen again?

TIA - Jan Hendrik

---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     The object and practice of liberty lies
     in the limitation of governmental power.
               -- Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Re: incomplete checkout

Posted by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com>.
Concerning Re: incomplete checkout
Jan Hendrik wrote on 20 Feb 2004, 17:14, at least in part:

> > Well, look in the .svn/entries file.  If my hypothesis is true (the
> > two files aren't mentioned), try this solution:  add an
> > 'incomplete="true"' attribute to the main parent entry.
>
> You are right, Ben, and thanks for pointing me to this. Those two
> files are missing indeed. But that's a Unix hack, isn't it? Thus nix
> for Windows? <g> Opened the file in SciTE and added the line, (and
> saved), but update gave me the error "file not found; transaction 9q:
> path (to the first one of the entries file). Then remembered the
> recent editing dumpfile discussion and set SciTE to UTF-8 encoding and
> changed line endings to both CR and LF, but the result was negative as
> before. Suppose the entries file is finally down the river by now.
> Isn't there something like a --force switch to update to do this
> instead of editing a file Windows should leave alone under any
> circumstances?

Ben,

in a belated follow-up: I posted the above after all described editing,
LF conversions and unsuccessful update tests, but left the entries
file open in SciTE over the weekend (did the editing over the LAN
on my machine, the update tests on the concerned box however).
Well, Monday morning SciTE informed me about "entries" being
changed by someone else and reloaded it. What do you think? The
"incomplete" line was gone and those two files originally missing
were now included, just as you said. Asking the guy at that box he
said he had just made an update/commit cycle without problems
on Friday evening ... Dunno why the updates before had not
worked. Perhaps some sort of caching in SVN or W2K? Thanks
nevertheless for the help.

Jan Hendrik

---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     The Founding Fathers knew
     a government can't control the economy
     without controlling people.
     And they knew when a government sets out to do that,
     it must use force and coercion to achieve its purpose.
     So we have come to a time for choosing.
                -- Ronald Reagan, October 27, 1964

Re: incomplete checkout

Posted by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote on 19 Feb 2004, 9:45, at least in part:

> You're saying that HEAD version (r272) of the directory *does* contain
> the two files, right?  You can see that by browsing the repository, or
> doing a fresh checkout of just that directory, right?

Exactly. Did some further tests checking out the rev. the two files
were entered, then switching to the rev. before, and everything was
OK.

Re: incomplete checkout

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 04:15, Jan Hendrik wrote:

> Any idea what might have happened?

You're saying that HEAD version (r272) of the directory *does* contain
the two files, right?  You can see that by browsing the repository, or
doing a fresh checkout of just that directory, right?

If running 'svn up' doesn't re-add them, then you probably have a
corrupted .svn/entries file.  The entries file should mention the 2
files, but it doesn't, and yet it claims to be at HEAD.  When you run
'svn up', the client says, "I have r272 of this directory", and the
server says, "ok, nothing to add, then."  The entries file is
incomplete, and isn't aware of that fact.

> Or what can be done except
> checking out a new working copy (takes about 45-60 minutes) and
> hoping it will not happen again?

Well, look in the .svn/entries file.  If my hypothesis is true (the two
files aren't mentioned), try this solution:  add an 'incomplete="true"'
attribute to the main parent entry.  The parent entry has a name of "",
something like this:

<entry
   committed-rev="8692"
   name=""
   committed-date="2004-02-18T23:47:03.993972Z"
   url="http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk"
   last-author="fitz"
   kind="dir"
   uuid="65390229-12b7-0310-b90b-f21a5aa7ec8e"
   prop-time="2004-01-29T21:39:59.000000Z"
   revision="8692"/>

Add an extra 'incomplete' attribute to it:

<entry
   committed-rev="8692"
   name=""
   committed-date="2004-02-18T23:47:03.993972Z"
   url="http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk"
   last-author="fitz"
   kind="dir"
   incomplete="true"
   uuid="65390229-12b7-0310-b90b-f21a5aa7ec8e"
   prop-time="2004-01-29T21:39:59.000000Z"
   revision="8692"/>

Now the working copy will assume that the directory's list of files is
incomplete, and will enumerate *everything* it has to the server, just
like cvs does.  The the server will then know to send the missing files.