Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sandra Patricia Hunter <re...@shaw.ca> on 2003/04/07 18:09:18 UTC

CLASSPATH

I am struggling with the correct settings for my classpath. I am using Win2K
and have a real hodgepodge. I don't really understand what I am doing in
setting the class path.
If someone could explain that to me I would appreciate it. I suspect there
should be an order to things but I am not clear on that either.
This is what I have right now:
CLASSPATH =
C:\j2sdk1.4.0_03\bin;C:\j2sdkee1.3.1\lib\j2ee.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.0_03\lib\tools
.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.0_03\lib\dt.jar;C:\Tomcat\webapps\idcard\WEB-INF\classes\id
card; %path%

Sandra Patricia Hunter

Systems Development and Web Design

PO Box 404

Malahat BC  V0R 2L0

250.743.2241

Website <http://members.shaw.ca/redbirdofthesouth>

Golden Geeks

Computer Training for Mature Users

Website <http://members.shaw.ca/goldengeeks>

RE: CLASSPATH

Posted by Sandra Patricia Hunter <re...@shaw.ca>.
But don't I need to include the Tomcat...\WEB_INF\classes in my path for
them to run?
What I am doing is just running a simple java app to test my Oracle
connection for my jsp pages and keep getting the
"java.lang.ClassNotFoundException" message.
Now I may be wrong, but doesn't this mean that something that should be in
my class path isn't there? Or possibly what is in my class path is not in
the correct order?

Sandra Patricia Hunter
Systems Development and Web Design

Tomcat ignores the CLASSPATH environment variable.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html

-Tim

Re: CLASSPATH

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Re: CLASSPATH

Posted by Paul Yunusov <py...@rogers.com>.
On Monday 07 April 2003 12:09 pm, Sandra Patricia Hunter wrote:
> I am struggling with the correct settings for my classpath. I am using
> Win2K and have a real hodgepodge. I don't really understand what I am doing
> in setting the class path.
> If someone could explain that to me I would appreciate it. I suspect there
> should be an order to things but I am not clear on that either.
> This is what I have right now:
> CLASSPATH =
> C:\j2sdk1.4.0_03\bin;C:\j2sdkee1.3.1\lib\j2ee.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.0_03\lib\tool
> .jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.0_03\lib\dt.jar;C:\Tomcat\webapps\idcard\WEB-INF\classes\i
>d card; %path%
>

> Sandra Patricia Hunter

Sandra, CLASSPATH is irrelevant for Tomcat's operation. It matters in
compiling your own applications that use namespaces located outside of J2SE,
e.g. javax.servlet.*. In case of servlets, it's enough to add the j2ee.jar
and the dot (".") for the working directory to the CLASSPATH.

Paul

Re: CLASSPATH

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Sandra Patricia Hunter wrote:
> I am struggling with the correct settings for my classpath.

Hi Sandra,

Are you referring to compiling and deploying your application, or
getting Tomcat to actually run your application?  If it's the former,
the solution and best practice is to use Ant.  If it's the latter, you
just need to know that Tomcat uses its own directory-layout-based class
loaders, not your CLASSPATH environment variable.

There's an introduction to Ant with Tomcat at:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/source.html>

Erik

RE: CLASSPATH

Posted by mike jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
1) tomcat makes its own classpath

2) tomcat's class path will include

	${TOMCAT_HOME}\classes (if it exists)
	${TOMCAT_HOME}\lib or common

3) Each web app will additionally have its own WEB-INF\lib and
WEB-INF\classes added to the classpath as well.

So the long and short of it is that you probably should put the Oracle
driver classes in the WEB-INF\lib unless you want them to be available
to all web apps, in which case you put them in the
${TOMCAT_HOME}\lib/common folder.

--mikej
-=-----
mike Jackson
mjackson@cdi-hq.com

RE: CLASSPATH

Posted by mike jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
Hmm, also, check the driver classes.  If your using classes12.zip and
nls_charset12.zip you'll probably need to rename them to .jar files.

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson
mjackson@cdi-hq.com