Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Kai Grabfelder <na...@kinokai.de> on 2007/02/10 17:04:51 UTC

Problem installing 3.1 RC3

Hi there,

I just installed 3.1 RC3 and have done everything according to the
Installation instructions. But when browsing to the main page all I get is
the message:

ERROR quering the Roller database, are you sure you ran the database
creation or database migration script?

No exceptions in the logfile so far.

After registering, creating a blog I tried to create a new entry which
caused the exception.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/roller/model/RollerFactory

This class (together with the whole package) is indeed missing in your
roller-business.jar...

Time for a new .rc? ;-)

Regards

Kai

Re: Problem installing 3.1 RC3

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 2/10/07, Kai Grabfelder <na...@kinokai.de> wrote:
> no, the test page works as excpected

So your database connection is setup correctly. Good.

> > I just downloaded 3.1 RC3 and verified that class is definitely
> > present in roller-business.jar.
>
> it is defenitevely not in my .jar ;-) Where am I suppose to download the rc?
>
> I used http://people.apache.org/~snoopdave/apache-roller-3.1/apache-roller-incubating-3.1-rc3.zip
> and the package org/apache/roller/model/ is not inside roller-business.jar

That is the correct link. I downloaded that today and verified the
presence of RollerFactory in the jar. I also started up Roller and was
able to sucessfully register a user and make a blog post.

Hmm... what could be going wrong. What version of Java are you using?
And Where did you get the Hibernate jars? Did you download the
required jars from the Roller support project?

- Dave

Re: Problem installing 3.1 RC3 [solved]

Posted by Kai Grabfelder <na...@kinokai.de>.
shame on me (as most of the time ;-))

I have installed Roller 3.0 before with my tomcat 5.5.20. Then I changed the
conf/Catalina/localhost/roller.xml to point to my 3.1 rc3 installation. That
caused the problems as you moved the class RollerFactory from the
org.apache.roller.model package to the org.apache.roller.business package
between 3.0 and 3.1 rc3: the compiled JSPs (for example bannerStatus.jsp)
were still from the 3.0 installation.

I've deleted my work/catalina folder, restarted tomcat and everything is
working again.

Maybe you should add a note about deleting the work folder to the install
guide? On the other hand most people have their server configured to delete
temp folder on restarting, so maybe its not neccessary to add such a note.

Thanks for your help

Posted by Kai Grabfelder <na...@kinokai.de>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 2/10/07, Kai Grabfelder <na...@kinokai.de> wrote:
> I just installed 3.1 RC3 and have done everything according to the
> Installation instructions. But when browsing to the main page all I get is
> the message:
>
> ERROR quering the Roller database, are you sure you ran the database
> creation or database migration script?

Looks like you have a database connection problem.
You should fix that before you try to do anything else with Roller.

Assuming a defautl setup on localhost:8080, you can test your
database setup by loading the page:

   http://localhost:8080/roller/roller-ui/tools/dstest.jsp

If your database connection is setup right you'll see something like this:

   SUCCESS: Got datasource and connection, class is
      org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource