Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2007/07/27 19:18:10 UTC

False Positives on Spamhaus?

Getting a ton of false positives today on spamhaus. Generally they never
get it wrong. Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

Re: False Positives on Spamhaus?

Posted by Jason Haar <Ja...@trimble.co.nz>.
Dan Barker wrote:
> That's not "Consumer Friendly", that's just WRONG!
>
> Glad you found it.

...well If you were doing "RBL-style" lookups, don't they exclusively
return 127.* addresses on matches - i.e. "no such host" or "address
204.4.4.4" should both be treated as "no such host" as far as RBL
software is concerned?

Sounds to me like the RBL software is wrong - not OpenDNS (hence me
bringing it up in the first place)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417

RE: False Positives on Spamhaus?

Posted by Dan Barker <db...@visioncomm.net>.
That's not "Consumer Friendly", that's just WRONG!

Glad you found it.

Dan

<snip>
 The caching DNS servers we not accessable to the email serrves so they had
no DNS. I decided to point the /etc/resolv.conf file to opendns.org's DNS
servers and it does some tricky things and what it returned caching for
spamhaus isn't what I think spamhaus was sending. They were making consumer
friendly responses to point not founds to their search engine.

It was a decision during a crisis and it turned out to have inintended
consequences.

</snip>

Re: False Positives on Spamhaus?

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Jason Haar wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> Never mind - my fault. I don't think it was spamhaus but a screwed up
>> DNS server.
>>
> Care to share? I'm a bit concerned a "screwed up" DNS server could cause
> RBL software to start declaring IP addresses were blacklisted. How did
> that happen?

Kind of a bizzare set of circumstances. Last my my colo provider screwed
up their routers. It created a situation where some ove my boxes weren't
accessable by other boxed. The caching DNS servers we not accessable to

Posted by Jason Haar <Ja...@trimble.co.nz>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Posted by Banyan He <ba...@rootong.com>.
It seems the data was cached. Let's see if it is correct after 24 hours
later.

--
Banyan He

Re: False Positives on Spamhaus?

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.

Posted by Skip Brott <sb...@dmp.com>.
> Getting a ton of false positives today on spamhaus. Generally
> they never get it wrong. Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

That's a lot of confidence in a system over which you have no control.

- Skip