Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by Christian Geuer-Pollmann <ge...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de> on 2003/07/31 08:58:08 UTC

Apache XML-Security: Hello, good bye, we'll see us

Dear friends of Apache XML Security,
dear users of this great tool,
dear developers (Berin, Axl, Erwin, Karel),
dear PMC members,

as you may have noticed, my presence in this place has significantly
decreased during the last month. I did not commit anything, I did not
answer user questions, I was not active in the JSR105 expert group and I
did not even update my "XML Security Page" [1].

The main reason in the past is that I was a little bit under pressure to
finish my Ph.D. thesis at the university, which is now fully done (last
Tuesday, I had my 'viva voce', so that I'm now completely finished,
blessed, whatever...).

Since the beginning of July, I started to work in the industry and joined
the "European Microsoft Innovation Center" (EMIC) in Aachen, Germany [2] as
a Software Design Engineer for the security area. Unfortunately, my work
contract does not permit me to do "open source" development while employed
at EMIC. Therefore I have to *pause* my participation in the Apache Project
for the time being.

I'm very happy to see that the XML Security project has fostered an active
developer community. Berin who has taken over lots of work items is a
highly valuable asset for the community. Axl and Erwin as peers to SUN will
hopefully bring this great technology even more into products. And the site
layout and documentation which has been improved so great by Karel will
hopefully let the users to get to speed.

So I'm confident that the project will develop; you have great and highly
committed developers on board, try to attract some more.... I'm sure that
there will be a time where we meet again (e.g. XML or security conferences
or mailing lists).

Good luck and thanks for the good time,
Christian

[1] <http://www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de/~geuer-pollmann/xml_security.html>

[2]
<http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2003/Apr03/04-10InnovationCent
er.asp>

Re: Apache XML-Security: Hello, good bye, we'll see us

Posted by Erwin van der Koogh <vd...@apache.org>.
>> Unfortunately, my work
>> contract does not permit me to do "open source" development while
>> employed at EMIC. Therefore I have to *pause* my participation in the
>> Apache
> Project
>> for the time being.
>
> Somehow I doubt that such prohibitions are enforceable based on German
> law but in any case it is better to not endanger Open Source projects
> by contaminating them.

I am afraid it would be fairly easy for a company to forbid such things,
especially if they are in related fields.
Thanks Christian for all the hard work you have done in the past and
hopefully will do again in the future. I am sure I'll see you around at
some security conference somewhere :)
Erwin

Re: Apache XML-Security: Hello, good bye, we'll see us

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
> Unfortunately, my work
> contract does not permit me to do "open source" development while employed
> at EMIC. Therefore I have to *pause* my participation in the Apache
Project
> for the time being.

Somehow I doubt that such prohibitions are enforceable based on German law
but in any case it is better to not endanger Open Source projects by
contaminating them.

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Apache XML-Security: Hello, good bye, we'll see us

Posted by Axl Mattheus <ax...@sun.com>.
Auf Wiedersehen Dr. Geuer-Pollman!

You've been an inspiration. Thanks for your support and input. Thank you
also for your contribution to free, open-source software, I do hope that
you will do it again in the future.

Ax/