Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "\"Crash\" Dummy" <gm...@thedatalist.com> on 2007/08/08 16:05:28 UTC

[users@httpd] Setting request URI length limit

I have Apache 2.2.4 installed on Windows 2000 pro. When I receive a request
longer than 8192 (I think), the server responds with a 414 (Request URI too
long) error. That's fine, but I would like to know if it is adjustable (likely
downward), and if it can be set for a specific method (GET, POST, SEARCH).

This caught my interest because of a repeated exploit attempt I get which is
actually aimed at an IIS server. The exploit, which is probably trying to
overrun a buffer, sends a SEARCH request with about 32 KB of binary garbage.
Apache is handling the situation with no problem, but I'm a control freak. :-)
--
Crash

Reply to group only. E-mail is blocked.

[users@httpd] Re: Setting request URI length limit

Posted by "\"Crash\" Dummy" <gm...@thedatalist.com>.
> See:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#limitrequestline

Thank you. I have the docs and I search them before I ask here, honest! I also
did a Google internet search. But if you don't know exactly what to look for,
you can't find it!

Re: [users@httpd] Setting request URI length limit

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/8/07, Crash Dummy <gm...@thedatalist.com> wrote:
> I have Apache 2.2.4 installed on Windows 2000 pro. When I receive a request
> longer than 8192 (I think), the server responds with a 414 (Request URI too
> long) error. That's fine, but I would like to know if it is adjustable (likely
> downward), and if it can be set for a specific method (GET, POST, SEARCH).
>
> This caught my interest because of a repeated exploit attempt I get which is
> actually aimed at an IIS server. The exploit, which is probably trying to
> overrun a buffer, sends a SEARCH request with about 32 KB of binary garbage.
> Apache is handling the situation with no problem, but I'm a control freak. :-)

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#limitrequestline

Joshua.