Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Emond Papegaaij <em...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/16 14:56:19 UTC

Flush request before detach

Hi all,

After a suggestion in WICKET-6702, I decided to have a look at where
request processing is blocked from the perspective of the browser. I
put a breakpoint in JavaSerializer, clicked on a link, and noticed
that the browser was indeed blocked by my breakpoint. When stepping
out, the new page was displayed as soon as I hit webResponse.flush()
in this part in WicketFilter:

    if (requestCycle.processRequestAndDetach()) {
        webResponse.flush();
    }

It almost seems too easy to change this to (disregarding the exception
handling for simplicity):

    if (requestCycle.processRequest()) {
        webResponse.flush();
    }
    requestCycle.detach();

I did it nonetheless, and my first smoke tests didn't show any
problems. The browser is no longer blocked while pages are being
detached and serialized. Naturally, the request thread is still busy,
so server resources are not freed earlier. Also, the page lock is
still held, causing fast subsequent requests to be blocked while the
first is being finished. But this is as expected. What do you think?
Can this be changed in Wicket 9 or could this have nasty unforeseen
consequences? I've created a ticket for this with my experiment on a
branch:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-6831 . Do note that I did
not yet update AbstractUpgradeFilter, which should also be done if we
want to proceed with this.

Best regards,
Emond

Re: Flush request before detach

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@gmail.com>.
Indeed, I still remembered that Martijn was working on this years ago,
but he didn't remember anymore :)

It seems we didn't come to a real conclusion back then. I did not
notice the problems Martijn had with the client waiting for the
connection to be closed. Chrome immediately displayed the new page
right after flush. I tested mostly with bookmarkable links to stateful
pages, so a click would lead to 2 requests: render page to buffer ->
redirect -> fetch result. I had a breakpoint in the serializer, to
keep the first request open indefinitely, and was able to navigate
through our application.

Next week I want to give it some more testing, to see how well it
works in our application when put under stress.

Best regards,
Emond

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.