Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jack <ja...@netvigator.com> on 2003/11/09 14:51:31 UTC

[users@httpd] Create user password and user group

Dear all
I'm a newbie to apache, i had install the apache 2.0.48 on winXP with sp1, and i had also set the "documentroot", but now i want to create some security for my web site.
1. How i can create user password or user group files?
2. the file .htaccess , what exactly does that do?

A reference link for this security topic will be helpful!
and
Thx alot

Jack

Re: [users@httpd] Create user password and user group

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Robert Andersson wrote:
> Then, while keeping the reading mode up, I suggest you try to read through
> most of the guides and how-to's here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/htaccess.html

Of course, this link was meant to be:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Create user password and user group

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Jack wrote:
> I'm a newbie to apache,

Yes, and to (technical) mailing lists in general it seems from your recent
posts.

If you have any wish to get valueable answers to you questions in the
future, I politely urge you to read this excellent document:

See: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/auth.html

> 2. the file .htaccess , what exactly does that do?

See: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/htaccess.html

Regards,
Robert Andersson

RE: [users@httpd] Create user password and user group

Posted by Rafael Faura <rf...@bassy.net>.

________________________________

I'm a newbie to apache, i had install the apache 2.0.48 on winXP with sp1,
and i had also set the "documentroot", but now i want to create some
security for my web site.
1. How i can create user password or user group files?
2. the file .htaccess , what exactly does that do?

A reference link for this security topic will be helpful!
and
Thx alot

Jack

------------------------------

Take a look at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/howto/htaccess.html
(.htaccess file explained) and
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/howto/auth.html (individual and user groups
passwords). Anyway i recommend you that take a look at Apache official docs,
located at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/ ... there you will find a nice
intro to some Apache concepts and several how-to's.

On the other way think about implementing authorization through htppaswd
file and Directives instead using a .htaccess file per each protected
directory, take a look at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/programs/htpasswd.html