Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> on 2015/06/03 23:52:25 UTC

Proposal Next: Disclosure of standards Implemented by Apache projects

[This was mentioned before but I repeat it as a separate proposal to
"encourage" yet more conversation here. :-)  ]

Please remember that a NOTICE file should also contain a list of all
industry standards implemented in that Apache aggregation.

Some standards organization licenses REQUIRE such notices of their
contributions. I think it is a good practice regardless.

Note that this is also a very short-hand way of identifying many of the
patents that read on that ALv2 software without repeating the information.
Standards organizations such as W3C and IETF and others go to great lengths
to document relevant patent claims and to ensure that ASF and others have
appropriate FOSS-friendly patent licenses for ALv2 aggregations.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

"If this were legal advice it would have been accompanied by a bill."

Re: Proposal Next: Disclosure of standards Implemented by Apache projects

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> [This was mentioned before but I repeat it as a separate proposal to
> "encourage" yet more conversation here. :-)  ]
>

> Please remember that a NOTICE file should also contain a list of all *industry
> standards* implemented in that Apache aggregation.
>

> Some standards organization licenses REQUIRE such notices of their
> contributions. I think it is a good practice regardless.

I have always placed these in the README, or often times CHANGES,
as it is informational guidance to the user.

If an implementation license demands advertising, such as the license
for a header file we distribute, then it does belong in NOTICE per the
terms of the license.

I believe the preference has been to avoid NOTICE pollution and dilution.

Re: Proposal Next: Disclosure of standards Implemented by Apache projects

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Please remember that a NOTICE file should also contain a list of all *industry
> standards* implemented in that Apache aggregation.

Please be careful with your verb tense. "Should" is part of your proposal.
Not what is part of our current policy.

Personally, I'm with OtherBill, and would place that kind of information
into a README or the website/docco. NOTICE has (historically) been reserved
purely for licensing information. Not supplemental facts about the released
product.

-g