Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Peter Kay <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2005/08/19 16:57:36 UTC

Problem with Quotes on XP

Hi all,

I just installed Ant today on an XP box, and I'm
getting errors when I try to run "ant" from the
command line (cmd).  The errors seem to stem from the
use of quotes when java is called.  I turn on echo in
ant.bat, and saw this was the command being executed:

"c:\j2sdk1.4.2_07\bin\java.exe" -classpath
"c:\apps\Ant\\lib\ant-launcher.jar"
"-Dant.home=c:\apps\Ant\"
org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher

It fails.  If I take out the quotes:

"c:\j2sdk1.4.2_07\bin\java.exe" -classpath
c:\apps\Ant\\lib\ant-launcher.jar
-Dant.home=c:\apps\Ant\
org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher

and run it from the command line, then it works.

I have no CLASSPATH set, and SET shows
ANT_HOME=c:\apps\Ant\
JAVA_HOME=c:\j2sdk1.4.2_07

No quotes there!  These were set from the Advanced
part of My Computer->Properties, FWIW.

I haven't added any environment variables besides
those, and the ant\bin directory is in my path.

For added excitement, I can run it with cygwin
(running ant, the shell script) with no problem at all
(at least until I start using actual build scrits :-D
)

Is my setup incorrect?  Is there a problem with
ant.bat?  I've gone through some old mailings, and
while there were similar problems, I haven't seen this
one before.

Thanks,

--Peter