Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2003/08/14 16:32:59 UTC

Re: request for help with reproducing problem

> "Secretly, I'm hoping that Apache-Test becomes so popular that end-users
> start wrapping their bug reports up in little, self-contained,
> Apache-Test-based tarballs so anyone can reproduce the problem."

to that end, I've created a skeleton Apache-Test tarball (attached),
complete with (very) basic instructions and pointers to additional
documentation.  just unzip and run, then tweak as necessary.  lather, rinse,
repeat.

I was thinking that it could go in the utils/ directory in the mp2 distribution?

I know we've discussed this before, buit I also think it's time to add a
footer to the bottom of modperl@ with a link to bug reporting guidelines.

/me ducks

--Geoff

Re: request for help with reproducing problem

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
> perl -MApache::Test::Skeleton -e create My::Project
>
> it will create the tree using the My-Project name as the top dir and all
> the files in it using My-Project

I just saw this:

   CGI::Wiki - A toolkit for building Wikis.
http://search.cpan.org/author/KAKE/CGI-Wiki-0.46/

I haven't looked at the code, but it may be something that we want to adopt
for Apache-Test Skeleton.

Re: request for help with reproducing problem

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> when a user says:
>
> perl -MApache::Test::Skeleton -e create My::Project
>
> it will create the tree using the My-Project name as the top dir and all
> the files in it using My-Project
>
> Hmm, basically we reinvent h2xs or what was the new project to replace
> h2xs?

exactly.  I started down this road then realized it was just easier to
create a tarball than have any dynamic script generation stuff - h2xs did
most of the work in one step for me.

--Geoff

Re: request for help with reproducing problem

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:

>>> to that end, I've created a skeleton Apache-Test tarball (attached),
>>> complete with (very) basic instructions and pointers to additional
>>> documentation.  just unzip and run, then tweak as necessary.  lather,
>>> rinse, repeat.
>>

>> Very nice! Though may I suggest to call it something different than
>> bug? ;)
>

> as we all know, I'm terrible with names :)

;)

skeleton sounds like a good one. and instead of calling the test file bug.t,
call it feature.t or basic.t, or first.t or whatever.

>>> I was thinking that it could go in the utils/ directory in the mp2
>>> distribution?
>>

>> If it has to be bundled it should be bundled with Apache::Test,
>> however since most people will get Apache::Test installed as rpm, it's
>> probably the best to simply put it on CPAN.
>

> you mean as a separate distribution, say Apache::Test::Skeleton?
>
> I'm not so sure that makes sense.  if the purpose of the skeleton is to
> give users a place to start, then I'm not sure that having a
> non-functional module on CPAN is a good idea.  that's why I suggested
> just checking in the tarball in the mp2 sources, specifically for the
> purpose of reporting bugs.
>
> but I suppose we could put it in the perl-framework instead.  however,
> there are plenty of docs, so I dunno...

True, but checking in a tar ball is a bad idea. Instead we should check in a
skeleton tree normally, however not include it in the MANIFEST, but instead
package it on 'make dist' in a separate tar.gz.... but we still have a problem
of rpm which will miss it.

Here is what I think. it should be checked in as a file tree, on 'make' it
should take this file tree and convert it into a script/module which will be
able to reproduce this file tree when that is installed. For example:
Apache::Test::Skeleton

when a user says:

perl -MApache::Test::Skeleton -e create My::Project

it will create the tree using the My-Project name as the top dir and all the
files in it using My-Project

Hmm, basically we reinvent h2xs or what was the new project to replace h2xs?

The difference is that instead of having everything in one file in first place
we can maintain separate files which can then be converted into that file that
can regenerate the tree back.

Re: request for help with reproducing problem

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Stas Bekman wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>

>>> "Secretly, I'm hoping that Apache-Test becomes so popular that
>>> end-users start wrapping their bug reports up in little,
>>> self-contained, Apache-Test-based tarballs so anyone can reproduce
>>> the problem."
>>

>> to that end, I've created a skeleton Apache-Test tarball (attached),
>> complete with (very) basic instructions and pointers to additional
>> documentation.  just unzip and run, then tweak as necessary.  lather,
>> rinse, repeat.
>

> Very nice! Though may I suggest to call it something different than bug? ;)

as we all know, I'm terrible with names :)

>> I was thinking that it could go in the utils/ directory in the mp2
>> distribution?
>

> If it has to be bundled it should be bundled with Apache::Test, however
> since most people will get Apache::Test installed as rpm, it's probably
> the best to simply put it on CPAN.

you mean as a separate distribution, say Apache::Test::Skeleton?

I'm not so sure that makes sense.  if the purpose of the skeleton is to give
users a place to start, then I'm not sure that having a non-functional
module on CPAN is a good idea.  that's why I suggested just checking in the
tarball in the mp2 sources, specifically for the purpose of reporting bugs.

but I suppose we could put it in the perl-framework instead.  however, there
are plenty of docs, so I dunno...

>> I know we've discussed this before, buit I also think it's time to add
>> a footer to the bottom of modperl@ with a link to bug reporting
>> guidelines.
>

> Good thinking Geoff! Sure, we can ask Ask to do that. However first we
> should probably make these links more intuitive, like:
>
> http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
>
> which will include a simple index.html pointing to the relevant mp1 and
> mp2 bug reporting instruction docs. I did add them to the ShortCuts
> menu, but personally I'd prefer to be able to quickly type them into the
> compose window, rather than going to perl.apache.org and copy-n-paste
> the long link.
>
>  From that page we could also link to perlbug and apache bug documents.
>
> Now we could have a tail:
>
> To report mod_perl bugs go to http://perl.apache.org/bugs/

+1

--Geoff

Re: request for help with reproducing problem

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

>> "Secretly, I'm hoping that Apache-Test becomes so popular that
>> end-users start wrapping their bug reports up in little,
>> self-contained, Apache-Test-based tarballs so anyone can reproduce the
>> problem."
>

> to that end, I've created a skeleton Apache-Test tarball (attached),
> complete with (very) basic instructions and pointers to additional
> documentation.  just unzip and run, then tweak as necessary.  lather,
> rinse, repeat.

Very nice! Though may I suggest to call it something different than bug? ;)

> I was thinking that it could go in the utils/ directory in the mp2
> distribution?

If it has to be bundled it should be bundled with Apache::Test, however since
most people will get Apache::Test installed as rpm, it's probably the best to
simply put it on CPAN.

> I know we've discussed this before, buit I also think it's time to add a
> footer to the bottom of modperl@ with a link to bug reporting guidelines.

Good thinking Geoff! Sure, we can ask Ask to do that. However first we should
probably make these links more intuitive, like:

http://perl.apache.org/bugs/

which will include a simple index.html pointing to the relevant mp1 and mp2
bug reporting instruction docs. I did add them to the ShortCuts menu, but
personally I'd prefer to be able to quickly type them into the compose window,
rather than going to perl.apache.org and copy-n-paste the long link.

 From that page we could also link to perlbug and apache bug documents.