Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Gerrit P. Haase" <fr...@nyckelpiga.de> on 2002/08/27 17:44:06 UTC

Xerces2 & perl-5.8 support for XML::Xerces?

Hello,

Xerces2 also builds on Cygwin now, we also have already a port
of perl-5.8, how is the situation with support for Xerces2 and
perl-5.8?  How works the SWIG thing, where can I find docu about
recreating the relevant parts with swig?

--
Gerrit

Re: Xerces2 & perl-5.8 support for XML::Xerces?

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Gerrit P. Haase" <fr...@nyckelpiga.de> writes:

> Jason schrieb:
>
> > If you, or someone else you work with, is willing to help me debug
> > this, I'll be happy to share the details.
>
> >> How works the SWIG thing, where can I find docu about
> >> recreating the relevant parts with swig?
>
> >   www.swig.org
>
> Swig is also aleady included in the Cygwin netrelease.
>
> > There's lots of documentation on the site. If you want more
> > informataion, about how the XML-Xerces uses SWIG, let me know, and
> > I'll be happy to post the details here.
>
> I read a little in the Swig manual page for Perl, when playing with
> the 1.7 release I found a lot of renaming took place (in swig as well
> as in Xerces),

Yes, the renaming is for old support of operator and method
overloading. As of SWIG 1.3.14, this is all unnecessary - as
overloading is now completely supported by SWIG. The interface files
that are in the HEAD will probably only work with SWIG 1.3.13, as I
have not had time to update them.

> how can I checkout the HEAD branch for the perl part to play with
> the recent version?  Though, I'm no C++ guru, but we have some at
> the cygwin list, the will help (I hope so;)

The checkout info is at:

  http://xml.apache.org/cvs.html

the module that you want is: xml-xerces/perl

The problem I'm having is that any DOMNode that calls getFirstChild()
is returned a bogus comment node instead of the real code. I've
tracked the command execution in gdb to this line:

    result = (DOMNode *)((DOMNode const *)arg1)->getFirstChild();

at Xerces.C:23434

arg1 is a subclass of DOMNode, e.g. DOMDocument, and for some reason
the cast goes wierd and instead of winding up in
DOMDocument::getFirstChild() you wind up in
DOMImplementation::createComment().

I've tried this on PowerPC as well as i386. I haven't tried it with
gcc-3.x though, that might help.

Also, if you wanted to help update the typemaps to the latest SWIG
that would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
jas.

Re: Xerces2 & perl-5.8 support for XML::Xerces?

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Gerrit P. Haase" <ge...@familiehaase.de> writes:

> Gerrit schrieb:
>
> > Jason schrieb:
>
> >> There's lots of documentation on the site. If you want more
> >> informataion, about how the XML-Xerces uses SWIG, let me know, and
> >> I'll be happy to post the details here.
>
> > how can I checkout the HEAD branch for the perl part
>
> I see, I have already checked out HEAD, please tell me if you committed
> your latest work, I'll look then where I can help.
> Meanwhile I'll build the latest SWIG release (1.3.14).

Yes, all my current work is committed.

jas.

Re: Xerces2 & perl-5.8 support for XML::Xerces?

Posted by "Gerrit P. Haase" <ge...@familiehaase.de>.
Gerrit schrieb:

> Jason schrieb:

>> There's lots of documentation on the site. If you want more
>> informataion, about how the XML-Xerces uses SWIG, let me know, and
>> I'll be happy to post the details here.

> how can I checkout the HEAD branch for the perl part

I see, I have already checked out HEAD, please tell me if you committed
your latest work, I'll look then where I can help.
Meanwhile I'll build the latest SWIG release (1.3.14).

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

Re: Xerces2 & perl-5.8 support for XML::Xerces?

Posted by "Gerrit P. Haase" <fr...@nyckelpiga.de>.
Jason schrieb:

> If you, or someone else you work with, is willing to help me debug
> this, I'll be happy to share the details.

>> How works the SWIG thing, where can I find docu about
>> recreating the relevant parts with swig?

>   www.swig.org

Swig is also aleady included in the Cygwin netrelease.

> There's lots of documentation on the site. If you want more
> informataion, about how the XML-Xerces uses SWIG, let me know, and
> I'll be happy to post the details here.

I read a little in the Swig manual page for Perl, when playing with
the 1.7 release I found a lot of renaming took place (in swig as well
as in Xerces), how can I checkout the HEAD branch for the perl part

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Gerrit P. Haase" <fr...@nyckelpiga.de> writes:

> Xerces2 also builds on Cygwin now, we also have already a port
> of perl-5.8,

Yes, I saw that on the xerces-c list, thanks for all that work. I have
quite a few people that want to use XML::Xerces on windows, so I would
be thrilled to have help getting it working under Cygwin!

> how is the situation with support for Xerces2 and
> perl-5.8?

Perl-5.8 isn't the issue. When moving to Xerces2, I ran into a C++
problem that I haven't been able to solve, and after putting 20+ hours
of debbugging time into it, I'm not willing to revisit it without help
from a better C++ programmer.