Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2004/01/15 14:10:59 UTC

Re: Newbie questions

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 20:37, Mamata Desai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie to Maven, and also to a lot of its ancestors. But I want
> to use maven to create a website for my java project. I installed maven
> and edited project.xml. Here are a few queries I have... I could not
> find answers to these. If they have been previously discussed, please do
> not bash me, if its possible, please direct me to the answers.
>
> 1. How do I change the default look and feel of the project website? Do
> I have to edit any css etc? Do I need to use any plugins?

If you use the version of the xdoc plugin that came with the last
release then you can change simple things like colour with properties.
Changing the layout is more tedious. If you use the version of the
plugin that is currently in CVS then it's all done by editing the CSS
files which were intentionally revamped to be simple.

> 2. project.xml has a "description" element. This is displayed on the
> project main page. Can I have multiple sections in this? What tags can
> be added inside the text for this, that goes into project.xml? Is there
> some other file that can list all this the way I want it?

The description is only used to generate a default index page when an
index.xml isn't provided by you. If you want a decent home page for your
site then you should make an index.xml file.

You can look at Maven's own index.xml for an example:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/xdocs/index.xml?rev=1.11&view=auto

> 3. Can I change the menus on the left hand side? I saw a few
> maven-powered websites but don't know how to do it.

Using the navigation.xml file, again you can look at Maven's own
navigation.xml:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/xdocs/navigation.xml?rev=1.37&view=auto

> Thanks and Regards,
> Mamata