Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by BeerBong <al...@samara.net> on 2000/10/12 08:19:29 UTC

Converting pseudo URI to QueryString

Hello all!

I learned that most search engines ignores scripts with query string
(Altavista for instance). Correct me if I wrong...
Most of my sites are several Apache::ASP scripts with query_string
parameters... They work with database.
I can convert pseudo URI kinda /band/134/ to /band.asp?id=134 via
mod_rewrite, but I want to configure this at runtime, without restarting
Apache... I want to use Apache::ASP further and get this ability...
Any advices ?

Thanx in advance!
Sergey Polyakov - chief of WebZavod
http://www.webzavod.ru

Re: Converting pseudo URI to QueryString

Posted by Ime Smits <im...@iae.nl>.
| I can convert pseudo URI kinda /band/134/ to /band.asp?id=134 via
| mod_rewrite, but I want to configure this at runtime, without restarting
| Apache... I want to use Apache::ASP further and get this ability...
| Any advices ?

Consider changing your naming scheme to band.asp/134 and get your id from
$ENV{PATH_INFO}. Using mod_rewrite can very easily become a very big mess,
especially considering namespace of mod_perl scripts, internal redirects,
trailing slashes and relative urls.

Ime

Re: Converting pseudo URI to QueryString

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
BeerBong wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I learned that most search engines ignores scripts with query string
> (Altavista for instance). Correct me if I wrong...
> Most of my sites are several Apache::ASP scripts with query_string
> parameters... They work with database.
> I can convert pseudo URI kinda /band/134/ to /band.asp?id=134 via
> mod_rewrite, but I want to configure this at runtime, without restarting
> Apache... I want to use Apache::ASP further and get this ability...
> Any advices ?

I've never done this myself, but I imagine that it doesn't
matter what URI translation mechanism you use, Apache::ASP
should work with it just fine, just to say that whether
its a CGI or perl ASP script shouldn't matter much if
the rewriting works.

-- Joshua