Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Rodney Schneider <ro...@actf.com.au> on 2002/09/13 03:02:07 UTC

Re: Attn Henning: Fulcrum SecurityService proposal

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:28, you wrote:

> My intention was to rebuild fulcrum with the Henning's SecurityService in
> place and then to plug that into a tdk2.2b3 install and then to have a
> crack at converting at least some of a turbine 2.1 application that extends
> TurbineUser over to it.  Your next post confuses me Rodney, or at least it
> reveals how 2.1 centric my turbine knowledge is.  Does your investigation
> mean that this approach is not going to work?

No, I am not really sure...  I have just been noticing that many people have
been having problems extending TurbineUser using TDK2.2b3, so I am assuming
it is currently broken.  I haven't had time to investigate the problems
myself, but I have some spare time tomorrow, so I wanted to get some advice
from Martin and Henning about how I should go about starting to test
everything.

> > A while ago Martin sent around a poll and it was decided that Torque 3.0
> > would be used in Turbine 2.2, but that Fulcrum would not be used.  Is
> > this still the case?  It seems from Henning's proposal that Fulcrum is
> > being used?
>
> I don't see how anyone can realistically expect to see a 2.2 release
> without fulcrum - I see no viable short term replacement (I'm showing my
> turbine 2.1 knowledge bias here again - is the alternative the coupled
> services that are still built into turbine 2.2?).  That said, if fulcrum is
> to be replaced then there is no harm in updating it for those that need to
> use it for the interim.

Martin's plan was to use the coupled services that are still built into
Turbine 2.2, and then integrate Fulcrum down the track.  However, it seems
that Henning has been able to extend TurbineUser using his new Fulcrum
SecurityService, so I am now a bit confused myself and I am not sure what
Martin's short term plans are.

> > Are your patches for the SecurityService available for download, Henning?
>
> The main bunch of code is in the jakarta-turbine-fulcrum repository in the
> proposals/db_security_service directory.  Henning has indicated that he has
> additional patches to both fix bugs and add functionality.  As suggested by
> Henning I have requested these off-list (I marked my request non-urgent so
> as to not add stress to his current workload and because I don't expect to
> have the time available to look at the code for another week or so).  I
> think the existing code (which includes documentation (and more
> documentation was provided by Henning in this thread)) will be enough to
> get a handle on the appropriateness of the solution.

OK, I might just read through the source code and documentation tomorrow so I
can give you my opinion on Henning's proposal.  I am going to India for a
couple of weeks on Friday next week, so I won't be able to help you guys
until I get back.

> > Are these kinds of emails more appropriate for turbine-dev?  I
> > unsubscribed from turbine-dev in March as the traffic was too high for me
> > to keep up with, but the traffic seems to have died down a bit, so maybe
> > I should re-subscribe...
>
> I would imagine maven-dev is very busy though (or at least was until fairly
> recently) ;-).  Yes, it is probably time to move this thread over to
> turbine-dev.  We should however post some comments on how well the proposed
> enhancements worked with our existing applications back over to
> turbine-user so that other non-dev subscribers can see that progress is
> being made and that everything works as expected.

OK, I have cross posted this to turbine-dev so we can move the discussion
over there.

Thanks,

-- Rodney