Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Preston CRAWFORD <Pr...@state.or.us> on 2005/11/18 04:09:05 UTC

Is Shale the way forward?

It appears that way. I've been so heads-down doing Struts alone that I
hadn't really noticed this change in direction. I applaud the Struts
team for being nimble and picking a direction while keeping backwards
compatability. My question, though, is how many of you out there are
actually beginning to head this direction? That's what I mean when I ask
if it's the way forward. Is this gaining traction? I'm just curious
because I like to keep up with what's current (within reason as I have
carpal tunnel, thus can't lug giant books nor spend as much time on the
computer at home as I once could).

Preston

Re: Is Shale the way forward?

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 11/17/05, pc leung <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As you memtion "JSF over Struts 1.x is definitely on the upswing",
> why to use shale? why not just MyFaces? any additional value added by
> shale?

"MyFaces" means two different things -- the JSF implementation and the
Tomahawk components.

As I mentioned earlier, the MyFaces and RI implementations of JSF are
interchangeable. But neither have the extra functionality that Shale
provides -- if the feature list on the Shale page interests you, you will
want to use it (with *either* implementation). Make your judgement between
JSF implementations based on beyond-spec features and/or performance and/or
quality.

If you like the Tomahawk components, feel free to use them -- with either
the MyFaces or Ri implementations -- and with or without Shale. Mix and
match what you need.

Your messages don't make it clear that you understand that things like
"Shale versus MyFaces" are *not* decisions you need to even make.

Thanks

Craig

Re: Is Shale the way forward?

Posted by pc leung <pi...@gmail.com>.