Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by bruce <be...@earthlink.net> on 2003/12/29 05:24:22 UTC

modified apache...

hi...

not sure which is the right mailing list for this question......

we're considering looking at using apache for a client server topology.
basically, we need to be able to install a small apache footprint on a
number of servers. we'd like the apache apps to communicate back/forth with
a master app to access any config information. (ie, we don't want the apache
app to read the traditional httpd.conf file)

                          master app (config info)

           +--------------+---------------------------+
           |              |                           |
         modified     modified   ....               modified
         apache1       apache2      . . .            apache(n)

each apache app would communicate with the master app to get any required
config information.

has anyone any knowledge of any app that's modified apache to do this.

our goal is to have just a really small apache footprint on the client
servers...

thanks,

bruce
bedouglas@earthlink.net
(925) 866-2790

[users@httpd] Re: modified apache...

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, bruce wrote:

> basically, we need to be able to install a small apache footprint on a

Check out the (dynamic) modules and/or a static compile using hte
confoigure API (do a ./configure --help for a list). You can strip it down
very very far.

> number of servers. we'd like the apache apps to communicate back/forth with
> a master app to access any config information. (ie, we don't want the apache
> app to read the traditional httpd.conf file)
..
> has anyone any knowledge of any app that's modified apache to do this.

Using the cmdline -c and -C you can configure apache a little 'on the fky'
- note that you can repeat them. Problem is - you still need an empty set
of CONFIG_FILE's, such as httpd.conf. So the trick is at Make or configure
time is to use the -D overrides of TYPES_CONFIG_FILE, SERVER_CONFI_FILE,
etc. and point htem to /dev/null.

I've done several in-memory config's for specific projects in the past,
occasionally tieing it in to SNMP - but this is rarely waranted - writing
out a (temporary) httpd.conf file again-and-again is not that hard. And
feel free to moan tha t it is not proper SNMP or BNF parsable :-)

Dw

Re: modified apache...

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Re: [users@httpd] apache modification project..

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "bruce" <be...@earthlink.net>

1.  What OS and web server version?

> The basic goal is to be able to have a modified Apache Server at a
given IP> 1.2.3.4.
> When the Server gets a request for a given URL/Site,
> it in turn
> gets the site from a remote PC/Server.
> The information is then displayed to
> the browser issuing the request.

Like below maybe?

The Chicago user's browser requests
http://example.com/dallastx/a.htm

The Fort Worth Texas server registered
as example.com receives the Chicago
browser's request and sees the Dallas,
Texas special characters of /dallastx/
within the browser's request.

To the Fort Worth server (example.com),
these special characters /dallastx/ means
"re-send this request to the Dallas server".

This "re-send action" is defined in the
Ft. Worth server's conf file something
like the below example.

In the Ft. Worth server's conf file:

In the "LoadModule" section add:

#
#  To forward off request to other
#  servers, turn on the needed modules
#  mod_proxy.so
#  mod_proxy_connect.so
#  mod_proxy_http.so
#  And maybe even some mod_rewite.so
#
LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
#

And then in a "Location" section add:

#
# Send the request to Dallas Texas
# and tell the Dallas server it's from
# us - the Fort Worth server.
#
<Location /dallastx/ >
  ProxyPass   http://exampleRemoteOne/ftworthtx/
  ProxyPassReverse   http://exampleRemoteOne/ftworthtx/
</Location>
#
# Send the request to Grapevine Texas
# and tell the Grapevine server it's from
# us - the Fort Worth server.
#
<Location /grapevinetx/ >
  ProxyPass   http://exampleRemoteTwo/ftworthtx/
  ProxyPassReverse   http://exampleRemoteTwo/ftworthtx/
</Location>
#

So the Ft. Worth server will see the special
characters /dallastx/ in the request and
will send the request for the file a.htm off to
the Dallas Texas server.

The Ft Worth server now waits for the
Dallas server to return back the requested
a.htm file.

Now the Dallas server see's the IP address
of the request and the characters /ftworthtx/
within the request and assumes (security ???)
these both mean this is from the Fort Worth
server and that the Ft. Worth server is currently
requesting the a.htm file from the Dallas server.

So the Dallas server sends back the a.htm file
to the Fort Worth server, just like it does for
most browser actions.

The Ft. Worth server receives the a.htm file
from the Dallas server.

Then the Fort Worth server sends off the a.htm
file to the user's browser waiting in Chicago.

2. Is the above close to what you want?

> We would like the modified Apache Server to be able to access the
required
> config information from the remote server as well...

snip

> Our goal is to have as
> small a footprint for the modified Apache app

snip

> 3) Our goal is to allow the modified Apache app to actually "read"
the
> config information from a remote machine...

So you want small web servers, in Dallas Texas
and in Grapevine, Texas (and 300 other locations)
reacting only to the Fort Worth Texas web server
requests?  Or from any browser or server? Up
and running 24/7 in Dallas? Or only certain times
in Dallas? etc?

Also you want the Dallas Texas server to obtain
new conf files from files stored on the Fort Worth
server?

Also you want the Grapevine Texas server (and
the other 300 servers) to obtain new conf files
from files stored on the Fort Worth server?

Yes you can obtain the remotes conf file from
the Fort Worth location.

A major way this is done, depends on the OS.

But basicly, one would write the remote conf files
from any office location in the world.  Then one
would store these remote conf files on the
Fort Worth server.

Now at a certain time, or via a certain request or
a certain admin action, a script (or a program) on
the Dallas Texas server would request the new
conf file from the Fort Worth server.

Then after the Dallas server gets the new conf file,
the program/script would replace the old conf file
or just restart the web server using the new conf file.

3. You want something like the above?

> Any solution has to be able to be rolled out with a minimum of pain
with
> regards to ongoing/future maintenance...

4. Impossible in the computer world :)

Jeff

Re: [users@httpd] Serving remote files from Apache...

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, bruce wrote:

> We're looking at using Apache and we need a way of serving remote files via
> Apache.

Define "remote files"?

Or, more specifically, where are they coming from?  How Apache can access
them depends on how *any* application can access them remotely.  For
example, if a remote machine runs a webserver, then Apache can
access them by HTTP (that's proxying).  Or if you have some NFS-family
filesystem export available, you can pretend the files are local.

>	We've seen solutions that indicate (if we understood them) that
> Apache can be configured to serve/redirect files from a remote Apache
> server. This appears to be accomplished via the ProxyPassReverse, mod_proxy
> directives...

Yep.

>             Remote PC/Server
>              The files are read from the remote Pc/Server and returned to
> the Apache 		  Server for display on the Client Browser. We're looking at an
> approach
>               like this because it has to be scalable.

The biggest effect on scalability will be for you to run a (large)
local cache on your Apache.  The mechanism you use to contact a remote
server (http or NFS or ???) is secondary, though I think error handling
(eg a remote host is down) is going to be easier with a proxy.

> If this is not easily doable, and we need to utilize the ProxyPassReverse
> solution, what issues are involved? In particular, how scalable would the
> ProxyPassReverse approach be? We might need to server potentially 1000's of
> sites with this approach...

Not a problem.  Use a cache.  As for what issues are involved,
I'm writing an article on the subject, which should be available
shortly (though it focuses more on the mechanics than on scaling).

--
Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html

Re: [users@httpd] Serving remote files from Apache...

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.

From: "Jonas Eckerman"

And the other side of the coin.  :)

> I would absolutely recommend Linux rather
> than Windows for this. For a couple  main reasons:

> 1:
> 2:
> 3:
> 4:

Perhaps the Windows built-in objects below:

Windows Scripting.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

Windows HTTP Services (WinHTTP)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winhttp/http/portal.asp

WebClient.UploadFile Method in .NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us

Write Auto-Updating Apps with .NET and
the Background Intelligent Transfer Service API
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/02/bits/TOC.ASP?frame=true

> I think this kind of stuff is simply a lot easier
> to do on Linux (and other Unix-like systems)
> than on Windows.

Now this is all you had to say, plus
"since I do not fully use Windows."  :)

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 11:42:29 -0800, bruce wrote:

First a short thought:

After reading your mail, I feel mod_proxy should be suitable. If you decide you don't want bto use HTTP or FTP when then "client" apaches fetches data from the central system, it might still be a good idea to check out mod_proxy as it is is possible to write modules that makes mod_proxy support other protocols as well.

I also feel that it should be worthwhile to check out existing methods external to Apache for updating the "client" apaches configs. One such method could be to have the master system push the config files to the clients with rsync.

>  1.1: How often does the configuration change?
>  The configuration for the Apache clients should be able to be
>  updated in a dynamic fashion. It is critical that the modified
>  Apache clients be able to access this information from the Central
>  system.

This doesn't answer the question of how often it will change.

If it may change more than once a minute, we can rule out everything that has to do with cron jobs for eaxmple.

>  configured... Another way might be to have the config information
>  periodically downloaded to the client machine, and then have the
>  Apache client "load" it. This would require the config information
>  be in a different format than the straight text file...

Why? If the client machine fetches it with ftp, rsync, http or whatever with a very small shell script called by cron, the fiule they fetch can be a standard apache httpd.conf. If you use rsync or wget you should be able to check the fuiles timestamp and then have the shell script tell apache to reload the config if the file has been changed since the last time it was reloaded.

What do you see that makes this type of solution unfeasible?

> There would also be security considerations...

Of course. The whole project is full of them. :-)

But: Does the multitude of apaches have fixed IP-addresses? If not, simply restricting access to the config based on IP should be a good start. If you use rsync, you can also use passwords. Or you can tunnel through ssh (or use scp) and use certificates *and* passwords *and* IP-addresse.

>  For ease of use.. it seems the "easiest" approach would be to
>  "suck" the config information into the Apache client...

I think it would be far easier to just use one of the multitude of existing ways to fetch a file regularly from one system to another, rather than inventing and implementing a way for Apache to do this work.

>  1.3: How critical is it that *all* the Apaches *always* contain
>  the latest configuration data?
>  Each Apache client may in fact contain a different "config". But
>  it's important that they be updated with the latest as soon as
>  possible.

What does "as soon as possible" mean. No more than 10 seconds? No more than 10 minutes? An hour?

> This of course will require some central app/process
>  that essentially monitors when "config" information is changed, as
>  well as the configs of each Apache client, and then which Apache
>  clients get what configs....

So push it from the server to the client using rsync. That ought to work.

And then the client can either have a cron job checking for changes, or if a gap of 1 minute is unacceptable it can have a small shell script that checks for changes ever 5 seconds or so. The easiest way might be to simply use rsync to send two fiules, the apache config and a flag file. The shell script can simply check for the existance of a flag file and delete it after it has reloaded the config. Use timestamps in the flag files names if changes can sometimes happenb very close to each other.

If you do decide to push the config from the server to the client, you could actually have the config stored any way you want to. In one text file per client, in one main text file and a number of smaller text files for the stuff that differs between clients, in a SQL database, or whatever. The script that pushes the config to the clients can also create the actual file to push from whatever the data is stored in.

1.4.2: Will the OS installations for all the Apache's be identical?
     We are considering Linux/Windows variant OSes for the Apache client
apps

I would absolutely recommend Linux rather than Windows for this. For a couple  main reasons:

1: There's a lot more applications made for this kind of stuff easily available for Linux (rsync for example is easy to use on Linux, but on Windows it is just frustratin).
2: You don't have to do anything special to get a good command shell with good scripting support on Linux, and intepreted languages suitable for automagic are easy to isntall (perl comes to mind).
3: A stable Windows based Apache system requires Windows 2K/XP with fixpacks. Windows 2K/XP requires a lot more computer than a Linux system without X.
4: It's easy to restrict access to files and directories on a Linux system. No users can become root, they canät read/change the cache or the config. While this is possible on Widnows as well, it's not as easy and if the machine is used for ordinary apps as well there can ve problems as some orinary apps simply won't work  correctly unless the user has administrator rights.

I think this kind of stuff is simply a lot easier to do on Linux (and other Unix-like systems) than on Windows.

>  2.1: How much data are we talking about?
>  You had to ask...!!! For a given site, we believe that they will
>  average ~10-20 pages of text... We'd guess ~5-10K.. We don't
>  really know, but we do know we're not talking large quantities of
>  data for the sites...

Ok. So a cache on the "client" apaches can be used without requiring large harddisks. That's good.

>  2.2: Is this dynamic data or static data? (The usefulness of
>  mod_cache depends on this).
>  The data in the sites/pages will be static...

This is good. It means you can use mod_proxy.

>  (at least initially) want to cache any page/site content on the
>  users PC anymore than we have to..

Ok. This might lead to scaling problems if the central servers canät keep up with all the "client" apaches.

>  We have considered using temp files/directories as needed...

This is a comment I don't understand. Using for what? The only thing I can think of in this setup that requires temp files is a cache.

>  We are also open to using/considering the use of caching methods,
>  provided we also incorporate some form of encryption for the
>  content.

That should be possible, depending on the OS. If you use a file system with support for user based encryption and an OS that also supports it, you should be able to place the cache (and config if desired) in an encrypted directory only accesible by the apache user.

If you decide to use mod_cache, there's another way to go as well.

Just as mod_proxy uses plugable modules for transport, mod_cache uses pluggable modules for storage. Ass far as I know there's currently two storage modules available for mod_cache, one stat stores on disk and one that stores in RAM. It should be possible to moify the disk cache module and create a new module that lets mod_cache store data in signed encrypted form.

This still leaves the config data though.

>  2.4: What kind of hardware (CPU numbers and speed, disk size,
>  amount of RAM) will the Apache's be installed on?
>  This will range. For design issues, assume a minimal machine...
>  500MHz, 10GHd, 256Meg Ram.

Considering you wont execute dynamic web code or need big caches on the "client" apaches, that should be enough for an ordinary apache with mod_proxy (and mod_cache if desired).

>  2.5: What kind of connections will the Apache's have to the remote
>  machines? The modified Apache clients will have to access the
>  Master/Central app/system through a secure process. Any
>  data/communication between the Central system and the client
>  Apache apps will have to go through a verification/validation
>  process...

And what does this mean? A "secure process"? Are you hoing to utilize IPC stuff (named pipes) or?

Are we talking about IP networks? LAN, WAN, the Internet?

>  We're still not comfortable with this approach given that it would
>  require the Master App/System to be running an Apache Based app,
>  that will be required to have its own config file.

No, it will require the master system to run one of:

1: a HTTP server (does not have to be apache)
2: a FTP server.
3: somehing else for wich you find or make a transport module that mod_proxy can use.

>  If you're interested in having a further discussion, or in perhaps
>  joining what we're thinking about doing, we would be interested in
>  talking with you.

I don't feel I have the time to actually hoin any projects, but I do have the time to check this list every now and then. :-)

Regards
/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/

RE: [users@httpd] Serving remote files from Apache...

Posted by bruce <be...@earthlink.net>.
Nick,

Thanks for your responses... Are you interested in possibly working with us
on this project...

If you are, send us your resume/CV and your contact information and the best
time to call you. We'll get in touch with you as sosn as possible.

Thanks

Bruce Douglas
bedouglas@earthlink.net
(925) 866-2790

> 2.1: How much data are we talking about?
>      You had to ask...!!! For a given site, we believe that they will
> average ~10-20 pages of text... We'd guess ~5-10K.. We don't really know,
> but we do know we're not talking large quantities of data for the sites...

Are you sure you need any complex setup, rather than just (say)
transferring all the data to the Apache server itself with a cron job?

In the early days of big hosting farms, people would host 1000 sites
that size comfortably on a state-of-the-art Pentium 90.

>      This will range. For design issues, assume a minimal machine...
500MHz,
> 10GHd, 256Meg Ram.

Hey, can I have a minimal machine for my webserver? :-)

--
Nick Kew

RE: [users@httpd] Serving remote files from Apache...

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

Posted by bruce <be...@earthlink.net>.
Jonas/Nick,

Thanks for the response...

Our project would have 100s of modified Apache client apps, each of which
would have to communicate with the Master/Central app to get the required
pages/data to server up. In keeping this approach simple, we're going to
consider static content only. There will be no processing of scripts/etc on
the client Apache PCs...

That said, the following are responses to the issues you raised...

1.1: How often does the configuration change?
     The configuration for the Apache clients should be able to be updated
in a dynamic fashion. It is critical that the modified Apache clients be
able to access this information from the Central system. This gives us
control over how the client app is configured... Another way might be to
have the config information periodically downloaded to the client machine,
and then have the Apache client "load" it. This would require the config
information be in a different format than the straight text file... There
would also be security considerations...

	For ease of use.. it seems the "easiest" approach would be to "suck" the
config information into the Apache client...

1.2: How often must the Apaches update their configuration?
	See above...

1.3: How critical is it that *all* the Apaches *always* contain the latest
configuration data?
	Each Apache client may in fact contain a different "config". But it's
important that they be updated with the latest as soon as possible. This of
course will require some central app/process that essentially monitors when
"config" information is changed, as well as the configs of each Apache
client, and then which Apache clients get what configs....

1.4: Will all the Apache installations be identical in *all* ways?
     See 1.3...

1.4.2: Will the OS installations for all the Apache's be identical?
     We are considering Linux/Windows variant OSes for the Apache client
apps

2.1: How much data are we talking about?
     You had to ask...!!! For a given site, we believe that they will
average ~10-20 pages of text... We'd guess ~5-10K.. We don't really know,
but we do know we're not talking large quantities of data for the sites...

2.2: Is this dynamic data or static data? (The usefulness of mod_cache
depends on this).
     The data in the sites/pages will be static... However, we do not (at
least initially) want to cache any page/site content on the users PC anymore
than we have to.. There are a couple of reasons for this, primarily due to
the fact that we don't want a user looking at their hard drive and seeing
20-30 Meg of data due to us!!

     We have considered using temp files/directories as needed...

     We are also open to using/considering the use of caching methods,
provided we also incorporate some form of encryption for the content. This
would ensure that the underlying site page/content data is "safe" and has
not been altered...

     This could also probably be accomplished with some computed hash.. that
is then checked against the data prior to it being served by the client
Apache, for site data that is cached...

2.3: Will there be scripts r other dynamic stuff that the Apaches are
supposed to fetch and then execute themselves?
     Nope.. For now, we are only going to deal with static content...

2.4: What kind of hardware (CPU numbers and speed, disk size, amount of RAM)
will the Apache's be installed on?
     This will range. For design issues, assume a minimal machine... 500MHz,
10GHd, 256Meg Ram.

2.5: What kind of connections will the Apache's have to the remote machines?
     The modified Apache clients will have to access the Master/Central
app/system through a secure process. Any data/communication between the
Central system and the client Apache apps will have to go through a
verification/validation process...

2.6: What OS will the Apache's machines and the remotes run? (This can be
important when considering mounting directories remotely.)
     see above...

     However, given the number of clients that we will be shooting for, if
we develop this!!, we would not like to mount directories internal to the
Master app/system environment that would be open to the outside clients...

     Our initial concern regarding bottlenecks had to really do with an
understanding of the issues surrounding the mod_proxy process. We're still
not comfortable with this approach given that it would require the Master
App/System to be running an Apache Based app, that will be required to have
its own config file.

     This config file would have to updated quite frequently to accommodate
changes made to the client Apache config information, for the mod_proxy
sections...

     These changes appear to be required, as we may not want the same mod
Apache client to serve the same sites on a continual basis...

This approach seems to provide a possible working approach. Assuming that
the Master Server/System apps can be created, as well as the monitoring app,
and the requisite software apps. The real issue would seem to be the ability
for the Master System to handle the quantities of requests for information
that will be coming from the client Apache apps. This could be accomplished
by a couple of cabinets of rack servers with the appropriate round robin
apps to facilitate this process...

If you're interested in having a further discussion, or in perhaps joining
what we're thinking about doing, we would be interested in talking with you.

At present this is an idea that's being refined.

Thanks for your assistance...

Regards,

Bruce Douglas
bedouglas@earthlink.net

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
> [...]

1.1: How often does the configuration change?
1.2: How often must the Apaches update their configuration?
1.3: How critical is it that *all* the Apaches *allways* contain the latest configuration data?
1.4: Will all the Apache installations be identical in *all* ways?
1.4.2: Will the OS isntallations for all the Apache's be identical?

2.1: How much data are we talking about?
2.2: Is this dynamic data or static data? (The usefullness of mod_cache depends on this).
2.3: Will there be scripts r other dynamic stuff that the Apaches are supposed to fetch and then execute themselves?
2.4: What kind of hardware (CPU numbers and speed, disk size, amount of RAM) will the Apache's be installed on?
2.5: What kind of connections will the Apache's have to the remote machines?
2.6: What OS will the Apache's machines and the remotes run? (This can be important when considereing mounting directories remotely.)

Posted by bruce <be...@earthlink.net>.
Hi...

We've been investigating/searching for an answer to a problem... We've seen
possible solutions, but nothing that's been exact!..

We're looking at using Apache and we need a way of serving remote files via
Apache. We've seen solutions that indicate (if we understood them) that
Apache can be configured to serve/redirect files from a remote Apache
server. This appears to be accomplished via the ProxyPassReverse, mod_proxy
directives...

However, we'd actually like to have the website/page files reside on the
remote PC/Harddrives and to basically have them read from the remote
machine, and served via the Apache app...

IE:

         Client Browser (http://12.13.14.15) fetch content from the Apache
server

         Apache Server (http://12.13.14.15) ip address
              |  ^
              |  |
              |  |
              V  |
            Remote PC/Server
             The files are read from the remote Pc/Server and returned to
the Apache 		  Server for display on the Client Browser. We're looking at an
approach
              like this because it has to be scalable.

If this is not easily doable, and we need to utilize the ProxyPassReverse
solution, what issues are involved? In particular, how scalable would the
ProxyPassReverse approach be? We might need to server potentially 1000's of
sites with this approach...

Thanks...

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.

Posted by bruce <be...@earthlink.net>.
Robert...

Thanks for the response... We're fairly certain that what we are trying to
do, can be done... We're looking for someone who would want to work with us
on the project...

The basic goal is to be able to have a modified Apache Server at a given IP
1.2.3.4. When the Server gets a request for a given URL/Site, it in turn
gets the site from a remote PC/Server. The information is then displayed to
the browser issuing the request.

We would like the modified Apache Server to be able to access the required
config information from the remote server as well... Our goal is to have as
small a footprint for the modified Apache app as possible on the client
machine. Hence the original statement about using Apache in a client/server
environment.

So.. for...

1) Yes. it is possible to build Apache without nonessential modules, IE,
just the sore functions.. But we have no idea which can really be stripped
out. Particularly when it is possible to remove "BASE" mods...

2) Not quite sure how the Mod_Proxy function gets us to being able to
"fetch" files from a remote PC, and return them to the user's browser
issuing the command for the URL in question... We were under the belief that
there would have to be some mod of the virtual host functions...

3) Our goal is to allow the modified Apache app to actually "read" the
config information from a remote machine... We don't really want to mount a
remote file system. The ability to remotely mount a file system is not
scalable for our needs...

As we stated in the initial email, our goal is to develop a scalable system,
with a copy of the modified Apache running on 200-300 machines. We want the
config information, and the web pages/sites for the servers to be stored on
the master PCs/Servers, and the modified Apache apps/clients to have to
communicate with the Master App to serve the pages/sites...

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.

Posted by bruce <be...@earthlink.net>.
Hi...

We apologize in advance if this mailing list isn't the right place for
this!!!

We're putting together a small/quick project to modify the APACHE app. We're
looking to modify the app to allow the following:

	1) Run with a minimal/small footprint. (Strip out everything that's not
required, to simply server static pages.)
	2) Server up pages from a remote server/PC.
	3) Allow the modified Apache app to read the config information from a
remote
	server/PC...

The basic goal of this project is to quickly demonstrate a proof of concept.
We're looking to use the Apache app in a kind of client/server environment.

We're hopeful that it shouldn't take that long to prove what we're trying to
accomplish. If everything works, we'll move onto the next phase of turning
the app into a commercial offering....

If you're interested in helping, let us know.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Bruce Douglas
bedouglas@earthlink.net

[users@httpd] Re: modified apache...

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, bruce wrote:

> has anyone any knowledge of any app that's modified apache to do this.

Would a module to read the configuration from a database (eg MySQL)
meet your needs?  If so, I think there are some such listed at
modules.apache.org.

--
Nick Kew