Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com> on 2006/09/04 20:59:33 UTC

RE: [Maven-plugins-user] Configure to check local instead of remote

Hi mkp,

Please post general Maven questions on the Maven users list - this list is
for the plugins hosted here at SF.  I am redirecting there.  In your reply,
please remove the SF list.

Maven does look in the local repo, and first, by default (by local repo, I
infer you mean the .maven dir on a user's workstation).  If it does not find
a dependency there, it looks in the remotes.

You didn't specify "what" is taking more time.  My guess is your team has
snapshots in use?  Snapshots add time as Maven checks for updates.  Please
clarify what you see.

One speedy improvement is to setup a proxy-cache in-house, such as
Proximity, and configure Maven to use it as the remote.  Then, the proxy
accesses external repos as necessary to obtain artifacts, and individual
users receive the benefit of artifacts already cached in it.

Posted by Alexander Sack <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeff,

In regards to my other question, it seems that my invocation of Maven2 looks
at the repo depo no mattrer what even after I have done an mvn
install:install-file on my target.  The build succeeds but it spends an
awefully long time timing out against ibiblio when it can't find the
dependencies (JBoss 404GA stuff).

Any idea how this could happen?  (all I have is standard artifactId,
groupId, and versoin in my dependency section).

-aps

On 9/4/06, Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com> wrote:

> Hi mkp,
>
> Please post general Maven questions on the Maven users list - this list is
> for the plugins hosted here at SF.  I am redirecting there.  In your
> reply,
> please remove the SF list.
>
> Maven does look in the local repo, and first, by default (by local repo, I
> infer you mean the .maven dir on a user's workstation).  If it does not
> find
> a dependency there, it looks in the remotes.
>
> You didn't specify "what" is taking more time.  My guess is your team has
> snapshots in use?  Snapshots add time as Maven checks for updates.  Please
> clarify what you see.
>
> One speedy improvement is to setup a proxy-cache in-house, such as
> Proximity, and configure Maven to use it as the remote.  Then, the proxy
> accesses external repos as necessary to obtain artifacts, and individual
> users receive the benefit of artifacts already cached in it.

"What lies behind us and what lies in front of us is of little concern to
what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson