Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Akash Ashok <th...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/23 12:18:07 UTC

Why is there only one instance of HLog.?

Hi,
    I was just wondering why is there only one instance of HLog? Wouldn't
this incur the overhead of synchronization when more than one region tries
to write to ? Why dnt we have an HLog per HRegion so that they Hregion's
writes are independent of each other? Plz do let me know if I am missing
somethin fundamental here.

Cheers,
Akash A

Re: Why is there only one instance of HLog.?

Posted by Akash Ashok <th...@gmail.com>.
I just found the answer in "HBase: The Definitive Guide"

It quotes a quote from the BigTable paper -

" If we kept the commit log for each tablet in a separate log file, a very
large number of files would be written concurrently in GFS. Depending on the
underlying file system implementation on each GFS server, these writes could
cause a large number of disk seeks to write to the different physical log
files."

Cheers,
Akash A