Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Arnaud Dutartre <ar...@europe.tgs.com> on 2001/10/23 09:49:44 UTC

License

Hello,

Can I use xerces in a commercial product ???
I am not sure I can or what are the restrictions ??

Thx for an answer to this stupid question :)
Arno :)

Arnaud Dutartre
TGS Europe
P.A. Kennedy I Avenue Henri Becquerel
BP 227 33708 Merignac Cedex France
Phone : (33) 5 56 13 37 77
Fax   : (33) 5 56 13 02 10

email : arnaud.dutartre@europe.tgs.com

Re: License

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Arnaud Dutartre" <ar...@europe.tgs.com> writes:

> Can I use xerces in a commercial product ???  I am not sure I can or
> what are the restrictions ??
>
> Thx for an answer to this stupid question :)

Definately not a stupid question, thanks for asking instead of
assuming.

Yes, you can use it in a commercial product.

The restrictions are governed by the "The Apache Software License,
Version 1.1" which is included in the file LICENSE.txt in the
distribution. There are basically 5 restrictions:

 *
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
 *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
 *    distribution.
 *
 * 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution,
 *    if any, must include the following acknowledgment:
 *       "This product includes software developed by the
 *        Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
 *    Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself,
 *    if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.
 *
 * 4. The names "Xerces" and "Apache Software Foundation" must
 *    not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
 *    software without prior written permission. For written
 *    permission, please contact apache@apache.org.
 *
 * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache",
 *    nor may "Apache" appear in their name, without prior written
 *    permission of the Apache Software Foundation.

None of which are very *restrictive*, just give credit where it is
due, and don't try to make yourself sound like an *official* part of
the project if you're not.

No royalties to pay, and no licenses to negotiate.

We will, however, be more than grateful if you make a contribution to
Apache for this great software you're getting for free ;-)

Cheers,
jas.