Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2011/11/28 18:24:57 UTC

Feathercast: Request for help editing audio

Request for help: Audio editing. I should have done this weeks ago, and I simply haven't had the time. I could really use a few minutes of your time.

http://feathercast.apache.org/feathercast_podcasts/ApacheConNA2011/Friday/

That's all the raw audio from Friday at ApacheCon, which I *still* haven't gotten to.

Here's what needs to be done.

0) If you don't already have it, download and install Audacity (audacity.sourceforge.net)

1) Open file in Audacity. To the left of the audio track, there's  drop-down thingy. Select "Split Stereo to Mono" and then delete the silent track. (Tracks were recorded in stereo, but with only one input.)

2) Listen until the speaker starts talking. Delete everything before that.

3) Find the end of the talk - probably where the speaker says "Thank you" and people clap. Fade out the applause and delete everything after.

4) Export the track as an MP3, with the following tags:

Artist Name: ApacheCon
Track Title: Speaker Name: Talk Title (Get this from the schedule on ApacheCon.com
Album Title: ApacheCon NA 2011
Year: 2011

5) Name the file in the same manner as the files you see listed here: http://feathercast.apache.org/feathercast_podcasts/ApacheConNA2011/Thursday/

6) Upload the file to somewhere I can get it, and tell me about it. I'll take down the raw files as the cooked ones appear, so that there won't be any duplicated effort. Or, if you want to claim a particular track (A-F) do so in this thread.

Thanks for all the people that responded volunteering to help do stuff!

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen

Re: Feathercast: Request for help editing audio

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Thanks. This is a huge help. I thought that I would get this done more than a month ago, and things just keep coming up to fill my "spare" time.

Before you start working on a file, take a look at http://feathercast.apache.org/feathercast_podcasts/ApacheConNA2011/Friday/ to ensure that it's not already been done.

Thanks.

--Rich

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
FYI, David Reid and I have just moved Feathercast to ASF hardware, and things are being moved around a little. The URL that I posted earlier isn't working right now for downloading the raw audio files. I'll try to post a new one later today.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
The files are now at http://feathercast.apache.org/podcasts/temp/

Thanks again for anybody that can help at all in this effort.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

--
OpenDirective http://opendirective.com