Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Hugh Field-Richards <h....@eris.qinetiq.com> on 2004/10/12 15:19:17 UTC

Re: No lucene, but "Too many open files"

Hi

I have had a similar problem running on a Linux box. I tried changing
the open files limit (ulimit -n) from 1024 to 2048 but it seemed to make
no difference at all.
	Mandrake Linux 9.1
	Java build 1.4.2_03-b02
	Apache 2.0.47
	Tomcat 4.1.27-2
	Cocoon  2.1.5.1
	xalan 2.5.2
	xerces 2.6.1
	open file size is 1024

I have run the same site on an Apple G5:
	Darwin Kernel Version 7.5.0 (BSD Unix)
	Java build 1.4.2_05-141.3
	Apache 2.0.52
	Tomcat 4.1.24
	Cocoon  2.1.5.1
	xalan 2.5.2
	xerces 2.6.1
	open file size is 256

There is absolutely no problem with it running here. I have run it
for hours at high levels of stress and there were no errors
reported at all. Very curious.

Forcing the Linux based system to use endorsed jar files for the
latest xalan/xerces instead of the Java supplied ones (which
seemed to be the same version anyway) did not give any
noticeable improvement.

Unfortunately I cannot use aggregation as I too am taking variable
file names into document(...) calls in the XSL. I can only suggest that
replacing the XSLT transformer that requires variable document calls
with a special Java transformer may remove the problem.

Hugh F-R

Dr Hugh S. Field-Richards
QinetiQ, St Andrew's Road, Malvern, Worcs, WR14 3PS, UK
Tel: ++1684 895075   Fax: ++1684 896113
Email: h.field-richards@eris.qinetiq.com

The views expressed above area are entirely those of the writer and
do not represent the views, policy or understanding of any other
person or official body.