Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Dipankar Sinha <di...@stssoftware.com> on 2001/01/23 03:03:34 UTC

JDBCRealm - can't make it work

Hello Sir,

I am trying to use Tomcat-3.2.1 and Apache_1.3.14 with MySQL-3.23.31 under RedHatLinux 6.2
Tomcat, Apache and MySQL are basically working fine and jdk1.3 is installed under /usr/java. I have to make Tomcat accessing data from MySQL (name of database is test) and I am having lack of understanding how to properly setup MM.MySQL. Please help.

I have tried as follows:

1. Modified $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml to add following lines:
        <RequestInterceptor
            className="org.apache.tomcat.request.JDBCRealm"
            debug="99"
            driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"
            connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/test?user='';password=''"
            />
2. Unpacked mm.mysql.jdbc-1.2c.tar.gz under /opt
3. Have set up CLASSPATH as /opt/mm.mysql.jdbc-1.2c
4. Copied both mysql_comp.jar or mysql_uncomp.jar (one at a time) to $TOMCAT_HOME/lib

Now my questions are:
    a) Do I need a separate software as DriverManager? if yes which is suitable one in my case?
    b) Do I need to set up any connection separately to the MySQL database? How?
    c) Do I need JDBCrealm.class in a specific path? How can I get the file?

When I am trying to access my webpages under Tomcat, I am getting an error message on the console as: java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver
When I am trying to access MySQL through my Tomcat webpages or trying to stop Tomcat, I am also getting java.lang.NullPointerException

Can I get some help?
Thanks a million in advance.

Dipankar