Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> on 2009/04/28 09:57:08 UTC

Re: reciprocity? (was Re: license problem about contributing lucene Chinese analyzer)

Le 28-avr.-09 à 06:34, Niclas Hedhman a écrit :

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Gao Pinker <xi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Section 5 means you just send a notice to let the author know you are
>> including it in a commersial product.
>
> We call that reciprocity, and is not acceptable terms for our projects
> and its downstream users.

Niclas,

could you give a few pointers about that concept?
The many possible disambiguations of en.wikipedia.org didn't help me.

I think this is a license clause that, although contrary to all open-
source movements, is very often wished by fearing embarkers to open-
source or open-content potential licensors. Technically, it has a
chance to be realized in much a different way than "warning", I feel.

paul

Re: reciprocity? (was Re: license problem about contributing lucene Chinese analyzer)

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> wrote:

> this clarifies your view... pretty much a general reciprocity indeed.
> However, reciprocity here does not propagate and this is a whole lot of a
> difference!
> I.e. an APL-licensed work may be linked with such a license I feel (but not
> within ASF I think).

I think it does. We need to pass this license downstream, so IF
someone picks up the Apache project and includes it in a commercial
product, that user would need to notify the Copyright owner. It may
seem fair, but AFAIK current policy is that "Give Credit" is the
maximum we allow to be enforced on downstream users. But I could be
wrong...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: reciprocity? (was Re: license problem about contributing lucene Chinese analyzer)

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Le 28-avr.-09 à 12:16, Bertrand Delacretaz a écrit :

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Paul Libbrecht
> <pa...@activemath.org> wrote:
>>
>> The many possible disambiguations of en.wikipedia.org didn't help
>> me....
>
> I think the explanation at
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-license2/ is
> pretty good.

That seems to be a definition of reciprocal similar to copylefting, in
the parlance I am used to.

That was not at all what Niclas referred to as being reciprocal though.

Début du message réexpédié :
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Gao Pinker <xi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Section 5 means you just send a notice to let the author know you are
>> including it in a commersial product.
>
> We call that reciprocity, and is not acceptable terms for our projects
> and its downstream users.

> English not being my mother tongue, but AFAIK, Reciprocity is
> effectively what act you have to do to obtain the favor in question.
> In licensing, it refers to the counter requirements for you to obtain
> the license. In this case, you must notify the licensor that you are
> including the work in a commercial product. ASF would need to pass
> this requirement downstream to our users, which is beyond the
> requirement of "Give Credit" that we have accepted.

this clarifies your view... pretty much a general reciprocity indeed.
However, reciprocity here does not propagate and this is a whole lot
of a difference!
I.e. an APL-licensed work may be linked with such a license I feel
(but not within ASF I think).

I was looking at the clause of reciprocity with respect to "letting
the authors receiving noticed about the usage".

paul

Re: reciprocity? (was Re: license problem about contributing lucene Chinese analyzer)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> wrote:
> Le 28-avr.-09 à 06:34, Niclas Hedhman a écrit :
>> ...We call that reciprocity, and is not acceptable terms for our projects
>> and its downstream users.
>
> ...could you give a few pointers about that concept?
> The many possible disambiguations of en.wikipedia.org didn't help me....

I think the explanation at
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-license2/ is
pretty good.

-Bertrand

Re: reciprocity? (was Re: license problem about contributing lucene Chinese analyzer)

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> wrote:

>>> Section 5 means you just send a notice to let the author know you are
>>> including it in a commersial product.
>>
>> We call that reciprocity, and is not acceptable terms for our projects
>> and its downstream users.

> could you give a few pointers about that concept?
> The many possible disambiguations of en.wikipedia.org didn't help me.
>
> I think this is a license clause that, although contrary to all open-source
> movements, is very often wished by fearing embarkers to open-source or
> open-content potential licensors. Technically, it has a chance to be
> realized in much a different way than "warning", I feel.

Not totally sure of what you are asking;