Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by jbi joe <jo...@daggerpoint.net> on 2008/10/13 15:58:34 UTC

Cant receive mail

My configuration is with sendmail for local delivery.
I can send email out onto internet but not receive it.
Locally inside my network I can telnet localhost 25 and
send and receive OK.   When someone sends me email it is not
rejected back to them, but I never see it either.  WHat logs should I be
seeing the email
arrivals in.  When I test locally everything appears fine.
I followed the sendmail document that is on the james site as best as I
could as my OS is Solaris
and not linux, its a tad different.   I did all the recommended sendmail.cf
mods.
Please HELP!
TIA

Re: Cant receive mail

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
jbi joe ha scritto:

> My configuration is with sendmail for local delivery.
> I can send email out onto internet but not receive it.
> Locally inside my network I can telnet localhost 25 and
> send and receive OK.   When someone sends me email it is not
> rejected back to them, but I never see it either.  WHat logs should I be
> seeing the email
> arrivals in.  When I test locally everything appears fine.
> I followed the sendmail document that is on the james site as best as I
> could as my OS is Solaris
> and not linux, its a tad different.   I did all the recommended sendmail.cf
> mods.
> Please HELP!
> TIA

Have you JAMES or Sendmail listening on port 25?
If it is sendmail you should look at /var/log/maillog to see what
sendmail logs about the mail it processes.
If it is james yo can loot at
<jamesfolder>/apps/james/logs/smtpserver*.log for logs of incoming
connections.

Stefano

Re: Cant receive mail

Posted by jbi joe <jo...@daggerpoint.net>.

I have James listening, however I wonder if sendmail may be interfering.
I used svcadm disable /net/smtp/sendmail to disable sendmail from listening.
When I telnet localhost 25 I see the James Greetings..
SHould the smtpserver log show all incoming?
TIA

Re: Cant receive mail

Posted by jbi joe <jo...@daggerpoint.net>.
James requires VALID MX records and ACCURATE DNS setup, or
at least that was my problem here..