Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Steve Cockwell <st...@canux.com> on 2001/04/05 16:10:08 UTC

Memory Usage - Threads

I've asked on the james-user list, but didn't get any response.

Is there some way to minimize the memory usage/number of threads run
when James is started?  Currently it looks like 10Mb/23 threads.  I
would like to run James on my laptop for development purposes, but don't
need to handle hundreds of emails an hour...

If this is an undocumented configuration tag, then I hope someone will
enlighten me (I'd be more than happy to add this to the docs and submit
it back to the group).  If it's in the code - perhaps someone can tell
me where to look for it.

Many thanks,

..src

Re: Memory Usage - Threads

Posted by Steve Cockwell <st...@canux.com>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> At 10:10  5/04/01 -0400, Steve Cockwell wrote:
> >I've asked on the james-user list, but didn't get any response.
> >
> >Is there some way to minimize the memory usage/number of threads run
> >when James is started?  Currently it looks like 10Mb/23 threads.  I
> >would like to run James on my laptop for development purposes, but don't
> >need to handle hundreds of emails an hour...
>
> Which version of James are you running (Or more importantly which version
> of Avalon/Phoenix). It may be that <base>/apps/james/conf/server.xml has a
> large number of threads set.

Thanks for responding.

My version of James is 1.2.1.  I've tried playing with the setting:

<block class="org.apache.avalon.blocks.threadmanager.ThreadPool" name=
.... >
	<capacity>
		64
	</capacity>
</block>

in the Avalon.conf.xml file.  It doesn't seem to do anything until I set
it to zero - then I get only 18 threads and nothing works.  Each thread
looks like this in /proc:

/bletch/jdk1.3/bin/i386/native_threads/java-cp:Loader.jar:../lib/AvalonAware.jar:../lib/xerces.jar:../lib/mail_1_2.jar:../lib/activation.jarorg.apache.avalon.loader.Main

Also, I'm having real trouble with the seemingly built in limit for the
length of a message:

"Exception spooling message:  Exception caught while storing mail
Container: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Packet is larger than
max_allowed_packets from server configuration of 1048576 bytes.

Thanks,

..src

Re: Memory Usage - Threads

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 10:10  5/04/01 -0400, Steve Cockwell wrote:
>I've asked on the james-user list, but didn't get any response.
>
>Is there some way to minimize the memory usage/number of threads run
>when James is started?  Currently it looks like 10Mb/23 threads.  I
>would like to run James on my laptop for development purposes, but don't
>need to handle hundreds of emails an hour...

Which version of James are you running (Or more importantly which version
of Avalon/Phoenix). It may be that <base>/apps/james/conf/server.xml has a
large number of threads set.

Cheers,

Pete