Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> on 2005/07/05 12:00:40 UTC

[logging] changes to build.xml

Hi All,

As there has been no feedback on the PathableTestSuite stuff I recently
committed I presume it's all acceptable so I'm pressing on with related
changes.

Commit #209252 to build.xml introduces the use of the <junit> and
<batchtest> tasks into this file. In the "old days", you had two choices
to get a set of testcases to run:
* write suite methods in java which aggregate all available tests into
suites, or
* write a separate target for each test case in the build.xml file.

The latter was generally the approach taken in commons-logging, but it's
ugly. And when we add another 25 or so testcases from the
"demonstration" stuff it will get real ugly.

The target "test.pathable" hopefully shows a better way forward. I would
like to merge all of the other test targets into this target over the
next week, just by adding new <include> targets into the <batchtest>. Of
course the target name will need to change to something more generic.

Where the testcase needs a custom classpath, the testcase will be
updated to use the PathableTestSuite stuff to explicitly state the
classpath in the testcase instead of stating it in the build.xml.

If anyone has any questions/objections please speak up soon.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [logging] changes to build.xml

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 13:27 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 22:17 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 22:00 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> >
> > hi simon
> >
> > > As there has been no feedback on the PathableTestSuite stuff I recently
> > > committed I presume it's all acceptable so I'm pressing on with related
> > > changes.
> >
> > sorry about that :-/
> >
> > (got very wrapped up exchanging emails with MEPs about the european
> > software patent vote that's due tomorrow.)
>
> Go Robert! (and anyone else actively involved in campaigning against the
> patents). I'm not in the EU so I don't have an MEP to hassle but I've
> got my fingers crossed....

i'm represented by six MEPs altogether and each one very different :)

not sure that trying to hassle them, just trying to explain what it is i
(and millions of other software developers) do and convince them about
the potential for harm.

the result today was just another battle in a bigger war. no one's
really sure what will happen next. the current situation is a complete
mess and it's only the commission's obstinacy that has prevented this
being addressed. really, blocking the proposal (though not a victory)
was probably the best that could be achieved given the commission's
resolve to block harmonisation without software patents. perhaps when
the current commissioners terms end, the next commission will take a
more positive view.

> > don't wait but i hope to be able to review the changes in the next day
> > or two...
>
> That would be cool. I'll try not to do anything too radical in the next
> few days :-)

there's no need to stop on my account: subversion is transactional and
so i should be able to step through each (if that's necessary). so long
as they have good comments on the commits, it should be fine.

BTW java.util.ClassLoader#getResources used to be final. the unit tests
now require java 1.5 to compile. it is odd that that method is final
(which probably explains why it isn't in 1.5). i suspect (having looked
at the classloader written by craig and remy for tomcat 4) that it must
be reasonably safe (not to override it) provided that the rest of the
class is correctly coded.

- robert

Re: [logging] changes to build.xml

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 22:17 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 22:00 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > Hi All,
>
> hi simon
>
> > As there has been no feedback on the PathableTestSuite stuff I recently
> > committed I presume it's all acceptable so I'm pressing on with related
> > changes.
>
> sorry about that :-/
>
> (got very wrapped up exchanging emails with MEPs about the european
> software patent vote that's due tomorrow.)

Go Robert! (and anyone else actively involved in campaigning against the
patents). I'm not in the EU so I don't have an MEP to hassle but I've
got my fingers crossed....

> don't wait but i hope to be able to review the changes in the next day
> or two...

That would be cool. I'll try not to do anything too radical in the next
few days :-)

Cheers,

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 22:00 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi All,

hi simon