Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Supun Edirisinghe <su...@office.vtourist.com> on 2004/04/30 02:36:05 UTC

read only file system

I think I'm alittle confused on how and index is put into use on a
readonly file system

I'm using Lucene in my web application. Our indexes are built off our
database nightly and copied into our web app servers.

I think our web app dies from time to time and sometimes a lock is left
behind from Lucene in /tmp/.

I have read that there is a disableLuceneLocks System Property(is that
the full name or is it something like
org.apache.jakarta...disableLuceneLocks?). But, I'm still not sure how I
can set that. Do I give it as commandline arg to the java VM?

thanks

Zilverline webapplication

Posted by info <in...@zilverline.org>.
All,

For those that are interested, I've created a web application based on
lucene that's ready to roll, and can be simply dropped in a Servlet
Engine. It runs out of the box, doing PDF, WORD, HTML. TXT, and can (on
WIndows for now) index zip, rart, and CHM.  I've just put up a website
for it, and will issue the src as GPL soon later, if people are interested.

Please take look at zilverline.org, and have a swing at the war.

cheers,

   Michael Franken

RE: read only file system

Posted by Nader Henein <ns...@bayt.net>.
I hate  to speak after Otis, but the way we deal with this is by clearing
locks on server restart, in case a server crash occurs mid indexing and we
also optimize on server restart, it doesn't happen often (God bless Resin)
but when it has we faced no problems from Lucene.

Just fir the record we have a validate function that the LuceneInit calls it
looks something like this:

		try {
			Directory directory =
FSDirectory.getDirectory(indexPath,false);
			if ( directory.list().length == 0 ) clear() ;
			Lock writeLock = directory.makeLock(writeFileName);
			if (!writeLock.obtain()) {
				IndexReader.unlock(directory) ;
			} else {
				writeLock.release() ;
			}
		} catch (IOException e) {
			logger.error("Index Validate",e) ;
		}

Nader

If you have a very recent Lucene, then you can disable locks with command
line parameters.  I believe a page describing various command line
parameters is on Lucene's Wiki.

Otis

Re: read only file system

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.