Posted to fortress@directory.apache.org by "Oleksandr Bodriagov (Polystar)" <ol...@polystar.com> on 2015/05/20 16:06:45 UTC

Fortress embedded Jetty

Hi Shawn,

I was thinking about making a Fortress .rpm that would include core,realm,
web, and rest components.
My idea was to deploy everything on embedded Jetty and have one executable
jar instead of many different wars and a standalone Tomcat installation.

As I understand, all REST services are defined in
FortressServiceImpl.java, so I just need do deploy them.
The web part ³starter² can be found in
directory-fortress-commander/src/test/java/org/apache/directory/fortress/we
b/StartExamples.java. I can basically copy this StartExamples.java for the
web part, can¹t I?

Is there anything that I should pay attention to? Configuration files?

/Oleksandr

Re: Fortress embedded Jetty

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On May 20, 2015, at 9:49 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Le 20/05/15 16:06, Oleksandr Bodriagov (Polystar) a écrit :
>> Hi Shawn,
>>
>> I was thinking about making a Fortress .rpm that would include core,realm,
>> web, and rest components.
>> My idea was to deploy everything on embedded Jetty and have one executable
>> jar instead of many different wars and a standalone Tomcat installation.
>
> I'm quite sure you can do the exact same thing using Tomcat instead of
> Jetty.

A good idea but a couple of concerns:

First, we have not implemented the Jetty realm interface (for javaEE security).  I have tested fortress-web in Jetty using its standard file realm.  The file realm is not good for anything other than test scenarios as credentials are stored in clear text inside a file.

Another problem relates to the javaEE security processing.  The user session created by the container during authentication can’t be passed down into the web app (in Jetty).  This requires the app to create a 2nd rbac session.  While it works, it’s inefficient.

These concerns lead me to echo Emmanuel’s recommendation and use Tomcat if possible.

Shawn
smckinney@apache.org

Re: Fortress embedded Jetty

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.