Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1995/11/17 23:30:48 UTC

spaces in HTTP headers

>  http://aqui.stllab.ibm.com

They have a system which requests URLs from other servers, their
system adds an extra header to the HTTP headers, e.g. when talking
to xxx.lanl.gov it added

 FOO: xxx

note the leading space. Apache created env var "HTTP_ FOO" = "xxx",
and the shell rejected it when trying to do a "exec cmd"

My boss says that Apache should be fixed to not send the " " in the
env var (that'd mean checking incoming HTTP headers against the spec).
I say, slap the wrists of the people at ibm and be done with it.

I've mailed the resource owners to tell them about their spec
violation.

rob