Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/02 04:29:30 UTC

[all] Commons Manual

Let's imagine a manual existed for Commons committers. It would assume
that a committer understands the ASF, ie) they've read the
Apache-Committer-Manual (imagine that exists too). What would the
chapters be?

Initial list:

* Short description of Commons/Introduction.
* Communication. How to use the mailing lists. Voting.
* Subversion information. How to check code out.
* Maven information. How to build.
* Site information. How to generate the site. How to upload your changes.
* Releasing. How to release.
* PMC. What they're there for (Commons point of view).
* Legal. How to not screw-up.

Am I missing anything?

Idea, if it's not obvious, is to bring together the various bits of
information on wiki's, site and more importantly in people's heads.
Stick it in a more concrete form and tell people to go read it.

Hen

Re: [all] Commons Manual

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Apache-Committer-Manual (imagine that exists too).
I would buy the mannings printed edition ;-)

---
Mario

Re: [all] Commons Manual

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.
Maybe this is of interest:

* Programming guidelines: do's and don'ts

Chris

Re: [all] Commons Manual

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
I definitely intend to use the docs that are already there. In fact
I'm expecting that most of these are written, but I don't want to ask
that question until I have a ToC.

What I'm intending to do is to organize the scattered docs into a
centralized manual so that people don't have to search as much for
information. Plus I can then throw an editor at it and have a PDF
version for printing.

Hen

Re: [all] Commons Manual

Re: [all] Commons Manual

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 12/1/05, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 12/1/05, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Let's imagine a manual existed for Commons committers. It would assume
> > that a committer understands the ASF, ie) they've read the
> > Apache-Committer-Manual (imagine that exists too). What would the
> > chapters be?
> >
> > Initial list:
> >
> > * Short description of Commons/Introduction.
> > * Communication. How to use the mailing lists. Voting.
> > * Subversion information. How to check code out.
> > * Maven information. How to build.
> > * Site information. How to generate the site. How to upload your changes.
> > * Releasing. How to release.
> > * PMC. What they're there for (Commons point of view).
> > * Legal. How to not screw-up.
> >
> > Am I missing anything?
>

> Not sure if these would be in the "committers manual" or elsewhere, as I'm
> similarly not sure that all of the above should be part of the manual rather
> than for everyone to read.
>
> * How the sandbox works / how components get promoted.
> * The whole active / dormant / dead process.

Definitely good chapters. They are concepts that currently only apply
to Commons, not to all of the ASF.

Hen

Re: [all] Commons Manual

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: [all] Commons Manual

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/3/05, Dennis Lundberg <de...@mdh.se> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > Let's imagine a manual existed for Commons committers. It would assume
> > that a committer understands the ASF, ie) they've read the
> > Apache-Committer-Manual (imagine that exists too). What would the
> > chapters be?
> >
> > Initial list:
> >
> > * Short description of Commons/Introduction.
> > * Communication. How to use the mailing lists. Voting.
> > * Subversion information. How to check code out.
> > * Maven information. How to build.
> > * Site information. How to generate the site. How to upload your changes.
>
> This also needs specific info on what versions of Maven and it's plugins
> are needed to build the site. I browsed through Building Components [1]
> which is quite good, but it lacks the version details. We should also
> update the section describing the POM elements to use groupId/artifactId
> instead of just id. Would you like me to write a patch for this?

Yes, please!  Anything other improvements would also be welcome.

Phil

Re: [all] Commons Manual

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@mdh.se>.

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/building.html

> * Releasing. How to release.
> * PMC. What they're there for (Commons point of view).
> * Legal. How to not screw-up.
>
> Am I missing anything?
>
> Idea, if it's not obvious, is to bring together the various bits of
> information on wiki's, site and more importantly in people's heads.
> Stick it in a more concrete form and tell people to go read it.
>
> Hen

Dennis Lundberg