Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Maciej Szymkiewicz <ms...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/31 15:06:25 UTC

[SQL][ML] Pipeline performance regression between 1.6 and 2.x

Hi everyone,

While experimenting with ML pipelines I experience a significant
performance regression when switching from 1.6.x to 2.x.

import org.apache.spark.ml.{Pipeline, PipelineStage}
import org.apache.spark.ml.feature.{OneHotEncoder, StringIndexer,
VectorAssembler}

val df = (1 to 40).foldLeft(Seq((1, "foo"), (2, "bar"), (3,
"baz")).toDF("id", "x0"))((df, i) => df.withColumn(s"x$i", $"x0"))
val indexers = df.columns.tail.map(c => new StringIndexer()
  .setInputCol(c)
  .setOutputCol(s"${c}_indexed")
  .setHandleInvalid("skip"))

val encoders = indexers.map(indexer => new OneHotEncoder()
  .setInputCol(indexer.getOutputCol)
  .setOutputCol(s"${indexer.getOutputCol}_encoded")
  .setDropLast(true))

val assembler = new
VectorAssembler().setInputCols(encoders.map(_.getOutputCol))
val stages: Array[PipelineStage] = indexers ++ encoders :+ assembler

new Pipeline().setStages(stages).fit(df).transform(df).show

Task execution time is comparable and executors are most of the time
idle so it looks like it is a problem with the optimizer. Is it a known
issue? Are there any changes I've missed, that could lead to this behavior?

--
Best,
Maciej

Re: [SQL][ML] Pipeline performance regression between 1.6 and 2.x

Posted by Maciej Szymkiewicz <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Liang-Chi,

Thank you for the updates. This looks promising.

On 02/03/2017 08:34 AM, Liang-Chi Hsieh wrote:
> Hi Maciej,
>
> FYI, this fix is submitted at https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/16785.
>

> Liang-Chi Hsieh wrote
>> Hi Maciej,
>>
>> After looking into the details of the time spent on preparing the executed
>> plan, the cause of the significant difference between 1.6 and current
>> codebase when running the example, is the optimization process to generate
>> constraints.
>>
>> There seems few operations in generating constraints which are not
>> optimized. Plus the fact the query plan grows continuously, the time spent
>> on generating constraints increases more and more.
>>
>> I am trying to reduce the time cost. Although not as low as 1.6 because we
>> can't remove the process of generating constraints, it is significantly
>> lower than current codebase (74294 ms -> 2573 ms).
>>
>> 385 ms
>> 107 ms
>> 46 ms
>> 58 ms
>> 64 ms
>> 105 ms
>> 86 ms
>> 122 ms
>> 115 ms
>> 114 ms
>> 100 ms
>> 109 ms
>> 169 ms
>> 196 ms
>> 174 ms
>> 212 ms
>> 290 ms
>> 254 ms
>> 318 ms
>> 405 ms
>> 347 ms
>> 443 ms
>> 432 ms
>> 500 ms
>> 544 ms
>> 619 ms
>> 697 ms
>> 683 ms
>> 807 ms
>> 802 ms
>> 960 ms
>> 1010 ms
>> 1155 ms
>> 1251 ms
>> 1298 ms
>> 1388 ms
>> 1503 ms
>> 1613 ms
>> 2279 ms
>> 2349 ms
>> 2573 ms
>>
>> Liang-Chi Hsieh wrote
>>> Hi Maciej,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info you provided.
>>>
>>> I tried to run the same example with 1.6 and current branch and record
>>> the difference between the time cost on preparing the executed plan.
>>>
>>> Current branch:
>>>
>>> 292 ms
>>> 95 ms
>>> 57 ms
>>> 34 ms
>>> 128 ms
>>> 120 ms
>>> 63 ms
>>> 106 ms
>>> 179 ms
>>> 159 ms
>>> 235 ms
>>> 260 ms
>>> 334 ms
>>> 464 ms
>>> 547 ms
>>> 719 ms
>>> 942 ms
>>> 1130 ms
>>> 1928 ms
>>> 1751 ms
>>> 2159 ms
>>> 2767 ms
>>> 3333 ms
>>> 4175 ms
>>> 5106 ms
>>> 6269 ms
>>> 7683 ms
>>> 9210 ms
>>> 10931 ms
>>> 13237 ms
>>> 15651 ms
>>> 19222 ms
>>> 23841 ms
>>> 26135 ms
>>> 31299 ms
>>> 38437 ms
>>> 47392 ms
>>> 51420 ms
>>> 60285 ms
>>> 69840 ms
>>> 74294 ms
>>>
>>> 1.6:
>>>
>>> 3 ms
>>> 4 ms
>>> 10 ms
>>> 4 ms
>>> 17 ms
>>> 8 ms
>>> 12 ms
>>> 21 ms
>>> 15 ms
>>> 15 ms
>>> 19 ms
>>> 23 ms
>>> 28 ms
>>> 28 ms
>>> 58 ms
>>> 39 ms
>>> 43 ms
>>> 61 ms
>>> 56 ms
>>> 60 ms
>>> 81 ms
>>> 73 ms
>>> 100 ms
>>> 91 ms
>>> 96 ms
>>> 116 ms
>>> 111 ms
>>> 140 ms
>>> 127 ms
>>> 142 ms
>>> 148 ms
>>> 165 ms
>>> 171 ms
>>> 198 ms
>>> 200 ms
>>> 233 ms
>>> 237 ms
>>> 253 ms
>>> 256 ms
>>> 271 ms
>>> 292 ms

Posted by Liang-Chi Hsieh <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maciej,

Posted by Liang-Chi Hsieh <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maciej,

Posted by Liang-Chi Hsieh <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maciej,

Posted by Maciej Szymkiewicz <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Liang-Chi,

> [...]

>>> "baz")).toDF("id", "x0"))((df, i) => df.withColumn(s"x$i", $"x0"))
>>> val indexers = df.columns.tail.map(c => new StringIndexer()
>>>   .setInputCol(c)
>>>   .setOutputCol(s"${c}_indexed")
>>>   .setHandleInvalid("skip"))
>>>
>>> val encoders = indexers.map(indexer => new OneHotEncoder()
>>>   .setInputCol(indexer.getOutputCol)
>>>   .setOutputCol(s"${indexer.getOutputCol}_encoded")
>>>   .setDropLast(true))
>>>
>>> val assembler = new
>>> VectorAssembler().setInputCols(encoders.map(_.getOutputCol))
>>> val stages: Array[PipelineStage] = indexers ++ encoders :+ assembler
>>>
>>> new Pipeline().setStages(stages).fit(df).transform(df).show
>>>
>>> Task execution time is comparable and executors are most of the time
>>> idle so it looks like it is a problem with the optimizer. Is it a known
>>> issue? Are there any changes I've missed, that could lead to this

Maciej Szymkiewicz

Re: [SQL][ML] Pipeline performance regression between 1.6 and 2.x

Posted by Liang-Chi Hsieh <vi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Nick for pointing it out. I totally agreed.

In 1.6 codebase, actually Pipeline uses DataFrame instead of Dataset,
because they are not merged yet in 1.6.

In StringIndexer and OneHotEncoder, they have called ".rdd" on the Dataset,
this would deserialize the rows.

In 1.6, as they use DataFrame, there is no extra cost for deserialization.

I think this would cause some regression. As Maciej didn't show how much
performance regression observed, I can't judge if this is the root cause for
it. But this is the initial idea after I check 1.6 and current Pipeline.

Nick Pentreath wrote

-----
Liang-Chi Hsieh | @viirya
Spark Technology Center
http://www.spark.tc/

Re: [SQL][ML] Pipeline performance regression between 1.6 and 2.x

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maciej

Posted by Liang-Chi Hsieh <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maciej,

FYI, the PR is at https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/16775.

Liang-Chi Hsieh wrote
> Hi Maciej,
>
> Basically the fitting algorithm in Pipeline is an iterative operation.
> Running iterative algorithm on Dataset would have RDD lineages and query
> plans that grow fast. Without cache and checkpoint, it gets slower when
> the iteration number increases.
>
> I think it is why when you run a Pipeline with long stages, it gets much
> longer time to finish. As I think it is not uncommon to have long stages
> in a Pipeline, we should improve this. I will submit a PR for this.
> zero323 wrote
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> While experimenting with ML pipelines I experience a significant
>> performance regression when switching from 1.6.x to 2.x.
>>
>> import org.apache.spark.ml.{Pipeline, PipelineStage}
>> import org.apache.spark.ml.feature.{OneHotEncoder, StringIndexer,
>> VectorAssembler}
>>
>> val df = (1 to 40).foldLeft(Seq((1, "foo"), (2, "bar"), (3,
>> "baz")).toDF("id", "x0"))((df, i) => df.withColumn(s"x$i", $"x0"))
>> val indexers = df.columns.tail.map(c => new StringIndexer()
>>   .setInputCol(c)
>>   .setOutputCol(s"${c}_indexed")
>>   .setHandleInvalid("skip"))
>>
>> val encoders = indexers.map(indexer => new OneHotEncoder()
>>   .setInputCol(indexer.getOutputCol)
>>   .setOutputCol(s"${indexer.getOutputCol}_encoded")
>>   .setDropLast(true))
>>
>> val assembler = new
>> VectorAssembler().setInputCols(encoders.map(_.getOutputCol))
>> val stages: Array[PipelineStage] = indexers ++ encoders :+ assembler
>>
>> new Pipeline().setStages(stages).fit(df).transform(df).show
>>
>> Task execution time is comparable and executors are most of the time
>> idle so it looks like it is a problem with the optimizer. Is it a known
>> issue? Are there any changes I've missed, that could lead to this
>> behavior?
>>
>> --
>> Best,
>> Maciej

-----
Liang-Chi Hsieh | @viirya
Spark Technology Center
http://www.spark.tc/

Re: [SQL][ML] Pipeline performance regression between 1.6 and 2.x

Posted by Liang-Chi Hsieh <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maciej,

Basically the fitting algorithm in Pipeline is an iterative operation.
Running iterative algorithm on Dataset would have RDD lineages and query
plans that grow fast. Without cache and checkpoint, it gets slower when the
iteration number increases.

I think it is why when you run a Pipeline with long stages, it gets much
longer time to finish. As I think it is not uncommon to have long stages in
a Pipeline, we should improve this. I will submit a PR for this.

zero323 wrote
> Hi everyone,
>
> While experimenting with ML pipelines I experience a significant
> performance regression when switching from 1.6.x to 2.x.
>
> import org.apache.spark.ml.{Pipeline, PipelineStage}
> import org.apache.spark.ml.feature.{OneHotEncoder, StringIndexer,
> VectorAssembler}
>
> val df = (1 to 40).foldLeft(Seq((1, "foo"), (2, "bar"), (3,
> "baz")).toDF("id", "x0"))((df, i) => df.withColumn(s"x$i", $"x0"))
> val indexers = df.columns.tail.map(c => new StringIndexer()
>   .setInputCol(c)
>   .setOutputCol(s"${c}_indexed")
>   .setHandleInvalid("skip"))
>
> val encoders = indexers.map(indexer => new OneHotEncoder()
>   .setInputCol(indexer.getOutputCol)
>   .setOutputCol(s"${indexer.getOutputCol}_encoded")
>   .setDropLast(true))
>
> val assembler = new
> VectorAssembler().setInputCols(encoders.map(_.getOutputCol))
> val stages: Array[PipelineStage] = indexers ++ encoders :+ assembler
>
> new Pipeline().setStages(stages).fit(df).transform(df).show
>
> Task execution time is comparable and executors are most of the time
> idle so it looks like it is a problem with the optimizer. Is it a known
> issue? Are there any changes I've missed, that could lead to this
> behavior?
>
> --
> Best,
> Maciej