Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by David Koch <og...@googlemail.com> on 2012/11/03 16:12:54 UTC

HBase scan performance decreases over time.

Hello,

Every now and then we need to flatten our cluster and re-import all data
from log files (changes in data format, etc.) Afterwards we notice a
significant increase in scan performance. As data is added and shuffled
around between region servers, performance goes down again over time (say a
couple of weeks). Are there any routine operations that one should run
manually, or settings to activate in the HBase configuration to keep the
data well distributed? We use HBase 0.92 as part of a Cloudera4 cluster.

Thank you,

/David

Re: HBase scan performance decreases over time.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
hdfs-site.xml

Its an HDFS setting that may impact the balancing of HBase as well.
(I'm sure someone can give a better response by looking at the code. )

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.
There is property dfs.balance.bandwidthPerSec in hdfs-site.xml

 <property>
    <name>dfs.balance.bandwidthPerSec</name>
    <value>6250000</value>
    <description>
        Specifies the maximum amount of bandwidth that each datanode
        can utilize for the balancing purpose in term of
        the number of bytes per second.
  </description>
  </property>

Thank you!