Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by dsimmons <ds...@libx.siu.edu> on 2005/07/08 22:22:53 UTC

newbie can't start tomcat

I have been googling the archives and anyplace else I can think of for
my particular problem, for about three days, without success.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

I suspect a simple path problem or a missing component, but honestly
I've been through about a half-dozen "install/troubleshoot tomcat"
checklists without finding it.

I have placed as much diagnostic information as I could think of at:
http://www.lib.siu.edu/dsimmons

Thanks,
Doug Simmons
SIUC

Re: newbie can't start tomcat

Posted by Paul Singleton <pa...@jbgb.com>.
The clue is in

'Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: server'

where it seems to be trying to load a class named 'server'.

In your environment variables you have

  JAVA_OPTS=server -Xms512m -Xmx512m -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintGC

but the first option should be

  -server

Paul Singleton

Re: newbie can't start tomcat

Posted by Luis Torres <A0...@itesm.mx>.
It may not be the best solution because you may have a special
attachment to Java 1.4 but since you are running Solaris you can install
JDK 1.5 anywhere (even /export/home) without it colliding with the
overall SO Java installation.

So why not use JDK 1.5, set your JAVA_HOME to your new Java directory
and enjoy the weekend?

I have Tomcat 5.5.4 running with JDK 1.5.02 on Solaris 9 and it worked
basically "out of the box" doing nothing more than setting JAVA_HOME &
CATALINA_HOME   =)

---
Luis